• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hewlett Packard 6632A PSU Fan Replacement

vol.2

Experienced Member
I recently picked up an HP 6632A PSU, and when I plugged it in, the fan made the most horrible noise.

I took it out and checked it, and it is a Pabst 12VDC fan. The back of the fan says it takes 2.5Watts at 12V, and is rated to function from 6-15VDC.

I measured the output from the HP fan header, and it's more like 14VDC.

What I want to do is to use one of these Noctua fans that is nice and quite: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a6x25-flx/specification . It's 12VDC and 1.4Watts.

Can anyone here tell me if they think this will be a bad idea or not? The Noctua doesn't outright say that it can handle 14VDC, but I'm thinking it's probably okay. And it's says it takes 1.4Watts input, but I'm assuming that's just a rating of what it's going to draw, and that the fans are not expecting a current-limited supply or anything.

Can someone tell me if I should be getting a beefier fan?

Thanks

It may run for awhile, but it'll probably burn out sooner.

An easy fix would be to get one of those cheap LM2596 buck converters and put it between the fan and the HP power connector to reduce the voltage. You could also use 3 general purpose diodes in series, which would drop the voltage about 2 volts.

Okay. Thanks for the ideas. The Noctua fans only come in 5 and 12 VDC varieties, so I will have to look for something else or use the diode-drop idea to ease the stress on the Noctua.

Back