• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CRT Cataract Removal

There are similar YT videos for handling large TV tubes. I've wondered what would happen if one simply took the (small) CRT and placed it in a kitchen oven and heated it to 300 F.

Yeah, there was nothing for smaller tubes so I've come across a few people who were cautious on using the same technique on the assumption the process would not safely scale down. It does scale down fine but I still wouldn't suggest placing a tube in an oven as should it fail you've now contaminated your oven, plus I don't like the idea of handling hot glass.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I used pretty much this exact method to deal with deteriorated PVA on my ADM-3A's CRT tube. Not too difficult, and having this video available will probably convince others that they can do it too!

Yeah, there was nothing for smaller tubes so I've come across a few people who were cautious on using the same technique on the assumption the process would not safely scale down. It does scale down fine but I still wouldn't suggest placing a tube in an oven as should it fail you've now contaminated your oven, plus I don't like the idea of handling hot glass.

I'd probably recommend oven heating with the CRT wrapped in a couple of burlap bags. That way, if it breaks, there's no danger of the bits getting into the wrong places. I believe that part of the manufacturing process is to heat the bottle during evacuation in order to allow the innards to "out-gas". The temperatures must be in excess of 300F. Allowing it to cools slowly could even relieve some stresses in the tube.

I would suggest safety goggles and non slip safety gloves!
Dislike the heatgun also...

I'd probably recommend oven heating with the CRT wrapped in a couple of burlap bags. That way, if it breaks, there's no danger of the bits getting into the wrong places. I believe that part of the manufacturing process is to heat the bottle during evacuation in order to allow the innards to "out-gas". The temperatures must be in excess of 300F. Allowing it to cools slowly could even relieve some stresses in the tube.

If that happened, I wonder what sort of heavy metals and whatnot you'd have to worry about inside your oven contaminating your food?

It's not a thing I'd recommend to others, at least not publically in a video designed for educational purposes. Last thing I want are angry messages on youtube on how their tubes imploded or they had to be hospitalized for burns and glass cuts because of shenanigans in their oven. The heat gun method is proven to work on almost all makes and model tubes (and you saw me wearing basically no safety protection besides glasses because I have that much trust in the method) with the exception of Zenith tubes where a green halo indicates a different chemistry of the bonding material and a hot wire will be needed instead to remove the glass.

At very low concentrations. Cesium, thorium, etc. There's probably some rare-earth compounds in the phosphor as well as the usual zinc sulfide. Most of the lead is in the frit seal, which doesn't fragment into dust. No mercury, arsenic, etc. But the bulk of the space occupied by a CRT is vacuum.

Back