Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

HP Logic Analyzers - HP Pre-Processor Modules - HP Inverse Assembler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Logic Analyzers - HP Pre-Processor Modules - HP Inverse Assembler

I started this thread because I just received a set of HP Pre-Processor Modules and General Purpose Pod Interface for my HP 1630A and 16500B logic analyzers.

I have three General Purpose Interfaces for the Pre-Processor Modules:
    1. HP 10269A General Purpose Probe Interface, for HP 1630A/D Logic Analyzers
    2. HP 10269B General Purpose Probe Interface, for HP 1630A/D/G Logic Analyzers
    3. HP 10269C General Purpose Probe Interface, for HP 1650A, 1651A and HP 16500A/B and 16510A Logic Analyzers, with Operating Note, August 1987

Here is the list of HP pre-processor pods I have:
    1. HP Model 10269A General Purpose Interface, with Service Brief 10269-90901, printed December 1982
    2. HP Model 64683A Z80 Interface Module, with Service Brief 64683-90901, printed January 1983
    3. HP Model 64655A 8085 Interface Module, with Service Brief 64655-90903, printed January 1983
    4. HP Model 64653A 8086/8088 Dedicated Interface Card, with Service Brief 64653-90904, printed February 1983
    5. HP Model 64670A 68000 Interface Card, with Service Brief 64670-90901, printed December 1982
    6. HP Model 64681A Z8001 Interface Module, with Service Brief 64681-90903, printed January 1983
    7. HP Model 64672A 6800/02 Interface Module, with Service Brief 64672-90901, printed September 1983
    8. HP Model 10320C User Definable Interface, with Operating Manual, September 1987
    9. HP Model 50601A/002 AD & I 8031 Preprocessor with QFP cable, no docs

I also have HP mini data cassette tapes for the HP 82161A Digital Cassette Drive with HP-IL (standard interface on HP 1630 logic analyzer) that are labelled as holding the inverse assembler software for the 8086/88, Z8001/02, 6800/02, and 68000.

I will be scanning all the docs and posting links in this thread.

Here is a photo of my collection of modules, tapes and manuals:

Last edited by nikola-wan; July 6, 2019, 02:42 PM. Reason: added a photo

Nice collection. I have a similar 646xx preprocessor collection minus the 64681A Z8001 preprocessor. I also have a 64671A 10308B 6809 / 6809E preprocessor.

Originally posted by nikola-wan View Post
    Here is a link to my PDF searchable scan of the HP Model 64672A 6800/6802 Interface Module Service Guide, 64672-90901, dated September 1983:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ae3...ew?usp=sharing
    Quick work providing a nice quality scan. Thanks.

Sometime I'll have to see if I can figure out how to feed a sequence of signals into the 6800/6802 preprocessor to extract the contents of the three PROMs without desoldering them.

Comment

Originally posted by gslick View Post
      Nice collection. I have a similar 646xx preprocessor collection minus the 64681A Z8001 preprocessor. I also have a 64671A 10308B 6809 / 6809E preprocessor.

Quick work providing a nice quality scan. Thanks.

Sometime I'll have to see if I can figure out how to feed a sequence of signals into the 6800/6802 preprocessor to extract the contents of the three PROMs without desoldering them.
      Thanks.

I see that one of the PROMs is socketed on my 6800 module. Would it be easier to just unsolder the other two and try to read them on a programmer?

One of the docs I received was an 'Appendix I' for the 6809/6809E module and 'Appendix J' for the 80188/80186 module. These appendixes include operation, but not schematics. The 6809 section helped me set up the ADDR, DATA and STAT configurations so I could load the 6800 inverse assembler into the 1630A logic analyzer from tape.

Here is the 6809 signal list:

Pod 4 J CLK
      Pod 4 K CLK (I didn't configure either of those manually)

ADDR A0-A8 Pod 2 0 to 8
      ADDR A9-A15 Pod 3 0 to 6
      DATA D0-D8 Pod 1 0 to 7
      STAT Pod 4 - I configured bits 0 to 3, their table shows all 8 bits are used for the 6809 inverse assembler

I'll scan this appendix next
      Last edited by nikola-wan; July 6, 2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I see that one of the PROMs is socketed on my 6800 module. Would it be easier to just unsolder the other two and try to read them on a programmer?

One of the docs I received was an 'Appendix I' for the 6809/6809E module and 'Appendix J' for the 80188/80186 module. These appendixes include operation, but not schematics. The 6809 section helped me set up the ADDR, DATA and STAT configurations so I could load the 6800 inverse assembler into the 1630A logic analyzer from tape.
        I'll have to look at my 6800/6802 preprocessor and see if any of the PROMs are in sockets. If they are that would be the easiest way to dump their contents.

I also have an original copy of 'Appendix I' for the 6809/6809E module and 'Appendix J' for the 80188/80186 module that I never got around to scanning.

I also have an original copy of Helwett-Packard Model 64671A 6809/6809E Interface Module Service Brief, 64671-90901, December 1983. That includes a schematic. I'll have to scan that one sometime.

Comment

Here is a link to my searchable PDF of the HP 64671A 6809/6809E Preprocessor Interface Module, Appendix I:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_35...ew?usp=sharing
          Last edited by nikola-wan; July 6, 2019, 04:22 PM. Reason: missing page 2, new link has all pages

Comment

New document - Service Brief for HP 10269A General Purpose Interface for HP 1630A/D Logic Analyzers:

HP Model 10269A General Purpose Interface, Service Brief 10269-090901, December 1982

From this document, I should be able to create a POD connection table for the 10269B General Purpose Interface for HP 1630A/D/G Logic Analyzers, by looking at the decals on top of the 10269B.

Comment

New document - Service Brief for HP 10269A General Purpose Interface for HP 1630A/D Logic Analyzers:

HP Model 10269A General Purpose Interface, Service Brief 10269-090901, December 1982

From this document, I should be able to create a POD connection table for the 10269B General Purpose Interface for HP 1630A/D/G Logic Analyzers, by looking at the decals on top of the 10269B.
              Do you not have a copy of this one?

Hewlett-Packard Model 10269A General Purpose Interface
              First Printing, December 1982, 10269-90902
              Second Edition, January 1983, 10269-90903
              Third Edition, July 1983, 10269-90904
              Fourth Edition, October 1983, 10269-90905

I have an original copy of the Fourth Edition, October 1983, 10269-90905 version.

It includes these to go along with the Appendix I and Appendix J supplement you have:
              Appendix A: Interface Module Z80
              Appendix B: Interface Module 68000
              Appendix C: Interface Module 8085
              Appendix D: Interface Module Z8001/Z8002
              Appendix E: Interface Module 8086/8088
              Appendix F: Model 10269A Options for Making a User Definable Interface
              Appendix G: Interface Module 6800/6802
              Appendix H: Interface Module NSC800

Those include the module specific POD format specifications for the 1630 series analyzers.

I'll have to scan that one when I have time. I haven't found a copy online anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by gslick View Post
                Do you not have a copy of this one?

Hewlett-Packard Model 10269A General Purpose Interface
                First Printing, December 1982, 10269-90902
                Second Edition, January 1983, 10269-90903
                Third Edition, July 1983, 10269-90904
                Fourth Edition, October 1983, 10269-90905

I have an original copy of the Fourth Edition, October 1983, 10269-90905 version.

It includes these to go along with the Appendix I and Appendix J supplement you have:
                Appendix A: Interface Module Z80
                Appendix B: Interface Module 68000
                Appendix C: Interface Module 8085
                Appendix D: Interface Module Z8001/Z8002
                Appendix E: Interface Module 8086/8088
                Appendix F: Model 10269A Options for Making a User Definable Interface
                Appendix G: Interface Module 6800/6802
                Appendix H: Interface Module NSC800

Those include the module specific POD format specifications for the 1630 series analyzers.

I'll have to scan that one when I have time. I haven't found a copy online anywhere.
                No - I don't have any of the newer versions of the 10269A documents. I would think scanning the Fourth Edition and Appendixes would be fine.

I entered the 6800 configuration screenshots from your eevblog post on the Inverse Assembler, saved the logic analyzer state, then was able to load it back successfully, although I had to manually edit the User Symbol table on my 16500B to select Binary mode. Were these the only STAT symbols for the non-preprocessor version of the 6800 IA? I see sixteen different STAT symbols in the 6800 Service Brief.

Comment

I used the HP 82161A HP-IL Cassette Drive and a couple of HP-IL cables on EBAY, and was able to load a 6800 Inverse Assembler into my HP 1630A.

I also purchased a "PIL Box" http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/hpil/#pilbox and hooked it up today to try to capture the Inverse Assembler files.

I used the ilPer program to 'scope' the HP-IL messages, while doing a tape file copy.

I could easily see that the file data was continous DAB xx hex output, so used Notepad++ to edit out everything but the Hex characters, then used a HEX to Binary file conversion online tool to create the binary files. I then checked each of those binary files with HxD and they appear to be IA program files.

I haven't figured out how to get my PC to use the PIL Box to emulate a tape - instead of the HP 82161A cassette drive, nor figured out how to put these files into a format to use with the PIL box, but I'll do some more experiments.

Here is a link to my zip of the IA files that I believe will work with HP 1630 series logic analyzers. I have only loaded the 6800 file from tape but not used it yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/HP_1630_IA_tape_files.zip

Comment

Is that what 6800 CPUs are for? I have spares of those and don't know what to do with them.

Let me know if you need more HP-IL cables, I have several extra.

Comment

Nice collection. I have a HP 64000 emulator with a number of probes.

Comment

Hello guys. I'm totally new to the HP 64000 world. I'm looking for a copy of this manual.

HP Model 64683A Z80 Interface Module, with Service Brief 64683-90901, printed January 1983

Can some one please provide me a link where to download it?

Thank you...

Comment

Working...
                        X