• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need a new ROM Programmer.

Moogle!

Experienced Member
Well, it seems my trusty GQ-4X4 has hit the floor too many times and now no longer works. I originally bought it after a disastrous attempt to use a TL866, which bricked itself on the first run of the software. I am planning on getting another GQ-4X4, but I wanted to stop in here and see if anyone else had another suggestion.

Apparently they guy who designed and sold them had issues with counterfeits and put something in the later versions of the software to brick them but I guess there was a problem and it would sometimes brick older legitimate models as well.

It just goes to show that one should research something before you buy it. Especially considering how expensive even a cheap burner is.

My Minipro-TL866 works good so far. It's a bit of work to check all the settings, but after a
couple of IC's it much easier. I'd recommend it again. What is the part number you were programming?

Larry

If you're programming vintage EPROMs and have a parallel port available on your PC, look for one of the used programmers to save money, or at least one of the Willem parallel-port varieties. You'll save about half the price of a new USB programmer.

I've heard good and bad about the Willem and Minipro programmers and the GQ4x, They all have their pro's and con's, I have the older model GQ4x i bought new back in 2010 and never had a problem with it.

Back