• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for information on Bytek Ultraviolet Multiprom Eraser BUV-3B

ardent-blue

Experienced Member
I dug up my BUV-3B, and am looking to replace the UV bulb. The one that is in it is an FG6T5 6W.

Is this correct?

ultraviolet C (253.7 nm wavelength) looks to be spot on. This is a common germicidal lamp available on flea-bye and lots of places.

The AM27C010 datasheet says erasure should be 10-15 minutes, but I did 5 and they took over 45 minutes...

Fluorescent Starters - Neostart FS-5
https://hubbellcdn.com/catalogpage/Wiring_Catalog_BB4_CatPage.pdf

Available everywhere, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Menards, boo-koo on evil-buy...

Robertson Ballast SP48 (formerly SP48P)
Preheat Starter Required. Recommended Starter for T5 lamps: FS-5
https://ballastshop.com/content/media/images/SpecSheets/SP48.pdf

Omron V Snap Action Switch V-15G4-1C25-K
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-v.pdf

FG6T5 6W bulb, scores of them on flea-bye. G6T5 is comon name.

M.H. Rhodes, Inc. Avon, Connecticut 06001
Clock Oper. SW 468D

I can't find the exact datasheet for the mechanical timer, the molded-in stamp says 90000 Series, but I can't find that yet.

Make sure the surface of the quartz window is clean, as well as the tube. Finger oil blocks some of the UV. In fact most anything blocks UV except quartz. Use alcohol to clean the surfaces. Make sure there is no glue left from the cover. Use a dull knife to scrape any off.
Are you intending on building an eraser from scratch? Why are you worried about the timer and such? From reading your first post, it sounded like you already had an eraser.
You can use a monetary switch in place of a starter.
Dwight

My first EPROM eraser was a clothes dryer ozone lamp inside of a coffee can. A small 40W candelabra-base incandescent sat outside as a ballast. These lamps mostly disappeared from appliances during the 70s, but I think there's still a seller of them

Makes the clothes smell fresh. Probably disappeared because few people with young'uns use cloth diapers. (anyone remember the diaper pail full of water+bleach) to receive the soiled didies?

swestoyz++11-24-2009-11-45-19.jpg

From past experience, if I got the thing apart, I might as well document it. Just about everything is overkill for a 6W bulb. Transforner will do about 180W. The bi-pin lamp bases are 75W. The mechanical timer is rated for 1HP. The starter is the wimpyest thing in there, but the twist lock base is rated 660W. The only thing that killed it apears to have been a poor choice of a crimp connector, but that's what wire nuts are for.

Yes, I do have a Bytek BUV-3B, where is the user's manual?

Bytek BUV-3B is back to work

Bytek BUV-3B is back to work

Well, after a SIMMple fix [wire nut to re-attach hot to transformer], replacing the starter [might as well, they are cheap], and whatnot, I had to bulk 15x AM27C010. Set the Bytek to 20 minutes, and let 'er go. Checked four devices from both ends and in the middle, they all passed blank check, when read they are all "FF".

I will eventually replace the G6T5 bulb when I get around to it.

Last time I tried to bulk some AM27C010, it took over 40 minutes... Having a good contact between the AC conductor and the transformer REALLY helps.

:cool2:

Unless you really need to do this commercially, the cheapos on eBay really do work although they are complete POS. I took one apart and the construction techniques was shocking. Literally. I would not operate one unattended.

Back