• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Blank Check Failed with AM28F010

ardent-blue

Experienced Member
I finally got cookin up some Type 1 enhanced complex BIOS with my Needham Electronics EMP-11 [Windows based]. The first five devices blanked and programmed and verified just fine. At 7 seconds per blank, it beats the 27C010 for cycle time, hands down.

But then I ran into heavy turbulence. I would run two or three that would get to the end of a Blank Check, then fail :cursemad:. I somehow got 10 to work out of 20. The last chip got me to 10 out of 20.

What I will do is update the software to 1.6 [presently at 1.4, SP1, AP3] and give those ten another heavy spanking. I'd like to go to 1.7, but alas, that uses MSI version 2, and I can't fix an old installation.

In your learned experience, is this rate of blank check failures something that an algorithm update can address?

I would try erasing it a few times and if it keeps failing, do a read and look through the data. If it is mostly blank except for a stuck bit or two (or a dozen) then maybe the chip is failing but it's possible that you can still program it if the stuck bits happen to match what you are putting in there. If the chip returns some other data after attempting to erase then I would suspect something's not making contact or the device is wrong.

Back