• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Show us your vintage test equipment and tools! :D

bladamson

Veteran Member
Few things in life are more satisfying than troubleshooting vintage computers using vintage test equipment.

Show us what you've got!

------

This is my B&K Precision 1540, circa late 70s or early 80s I think.. I bought it at a hamfest in 1997 for $35, and it was my only scope for years. Not a storage scope, but it does have a trigger circuit built in, which is good enough for me! Really needs a rebuild and is way out of calibration, but it's good enough to see logic transitions! Lol.
EPQ2oPn.jpg

And this is a late 50s era Eico 460 that I just recently acquired. All tube, so that is cool. It needs a rebuild too, although it's actually in better condition than my 1540, heh. I want to make a new cover for it from plexiglass, so the tube glow can come out. <3 I plan to mostly use this one in XY mode, drawing vector graphics on it with a sound card.
izCzgAh.jpg

And that's my great grandpa's persuasion tool on the right there, too. :3

Last edited:
I think I saw one of those on Ebay years ago, but I didn't know what it was or I'd have bought it, heh.

----

But cmon guys. I know *someone* has some sweet vintage test equipment out there to post pictures of. I mean, after all, you're not really troubleshooting unless you have to troubleshoot your troubleshooting equipment before you can really start troubleshooting. Am I right? :3

I always liked the test equipment I used in Aerospace in the early 1980s, and when I retired I hunted for some of them on ebay, etc where they could be had for a song.

Here is my Tektronix 453 scope, HP1630G Logic Analyzer, and a Interface Technology RS-660 Word Generator. I really wanted the Tektronix 454 or 465B scope, but they were still priced a bit high at the time.

The thing with a logic analyzers are that you must get a good set of pods and flying lead sets with them or they are fairly useless.

This era gear is perfect for troubling-shooting early generation IBM PCs, Commodore PETs, Apple II, etc.

Logic analyzer & Timing Generator1.jpg

6kyRR4x.jpg

Quick View from 3 years ago of some (about 30%) of my Vintage Test gear most is Tektronix.

Better view after I had done some cleaning up

NcALpxA.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!

Do you have a tools for the National Semiconductor 32000 series (ns32k) ?
From the ns32k documentations:
======
The GNX debugger also directly supports the HewlettPackard HP64772 NS32532/NS32GX32 in-system emulator. This combination provides powerful integrated support for high-level source debugging and insystem emulation of the NS32532 or NS32GX32 processors.

DBUG, the GNX debugger, currently supports the following target systems:
- NSV-FX-CG-EDB, NSV-CG160-EDB, NSV-GX32-EDB, NSV-GX320-EDB, NSV-FX16-FAX-EDB, AM160-EDB, FX164-EDB and CG160LX-LBP evaluation boards.
- HP64772, HP64778 and HP64779 Hewlett Packard In-System Emulators.

==============
http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public...s_series_32000/gnx/series32000ep_gnx_v4.4.pdf

http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public...and _language_development_tools_for_msdos.pdf

I had a complete soup-to-nuts 64000, complete with apartment-fridge sized 10MB disk drive, 8 linear feet of manuals and software and several ICE pods. Took up way too much space and gave the whole collection away about ten years ago. It was a real tank, as you'd expect from HP.

I actually have one lurking in my storage space, yes with the half-fridge drive. It was just too big to keep in air-conditioned space, and I never had time to play with it, but I also never had time to get rid of it. I think I also have a vinyl bag with some extra boards. They used it where I worked back in 1999 or so. They were going to toss it and I asked to have it. If nothing else, the console had that nice '80s look. But I never turned it on, partly because...

I preferred the Applied Microsystems EM-189 (we did 6809 stuff) that I found languishing in a corner of the office. It didn't know about bank switching in the target, but I was skilled enough to not care. The best part was that nobody else wanted to use it. I was allowed to keep that too, and ended up buying more models years later. I did some Colecovision development with the Z80 version back in 2008 or so. I also have an 8080/8085 version that I haven't had a use for yet. My EM-189 only has a non-E pod, but holy crap I just found a very nice scan of the 6809E pod boards, maybe I can determine the differences. And all of my "good" sets have a lot of target RAM, which you can use in place of ROM. One has 64K in 4K banks. I also have a null target for the Z80 which just provides clock signals, so you can use it as a trainer along with the target RAM.

Here's are some links. They're both cute and awesome. There's even a 2KB LIF socket for custom emulator-side extensions.
http://www.iobium.com/applied_microsystems_em189_e.htm
http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=1063
em188_1.jpg

A long-term dream is to somehow make a pod for 6502, which they had completely ignored, using one of my spare pod-less units. The hard mode is that it uses the pod CPU to run the emulator, switching it back and forth between emulator-world and target-world via registers in the emulator hardware, which needs to be aware of bus cycles. Basically it's a super-deluxe front panel attached to a pod CPU. With two hardware breakpoints too.

Back