• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How about the Hakko FR-301 desoldering gun?

bladamson

Veteran Member
Hey guys, I guess it's a little late to ask now since I already ordered one, haha.

But anyway yeah, I was working on a power supply this afternoon and my el-cheapo Anesty desoldering station decided that it Can't Feel at Home in this World Anymore. Some kind of power supply internal issue, but I am too dumb to figure it out.

So I ordered a Hakko FR-301 to replace it. Mr. Carlson uses one, and I think maybe Adrian Black does too IIRC, so those seem like good recommendations. What do y'all think of this tool? Anything I should be aware of?

I bought one couple weeks ago. It's now waiting here for some free time.

I’ve got one. I love it. I had to replace a CIA in a Commodore 64 and I decided that it would be less frustrating with a new toy/tool, so I splurged a little.

I have the fr300.. 2 months later the fr301 came out. They look identical not sure the difference. The heater broke and hakko fixed it free and threw in a 10 pack of paper filters.

I love it and use it all the time. It makes things so much easier. It was expensive but looking back i dont regret the purchase. And this board recommended it. They were right.

It is my understanding that FR301 is not the same as FR300. FR301 uses different tips. But it may be possible to retrofit FR300 to FR301 if you replace some of the guts.

It is my understanding that FR301 is not the same as FR300. FR301 uses different tips. But it may be possible to retrofit FR300 to FR301 if you replace some of the guts.

here is a write up. I dont see the big deal my unit has a bunch of different tip sizes same as the 301 and I dont use them all.

Well it works well enough for me. I got done alot more quickly than using a manual sucker.

Back