• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing cord in vinyl strain-relief

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I recently decided to repair the cord/plug on my CH Products Trackball Pro. This is a nice heavy unit, and not flimsy like the Kensington devices. I'd broken a pin in the PS2 DIN connector and, rather than chop the end off and attach a new connector, I wanted a nice cord with a molded plug. At least one vendor is selling lots of 10 ft. male-to-male PS/2 cables, so I sprang for some. I decided to cut the cord in half, using one end for the trackball and the other will probably be used for an IR-to-PS2 adapter that I've made several times to work with the IBM IR keyboards.

I wanted to keep the nice vinyl strain relief, so I cut the old cable flush on the trackball end and pulled it through the strain relief, thinking that even if I broke a couple of wires, it was no big deal--the object was get the thing out of the strain relief.

The new cable is precisely the same diameter as the old, so the problem was getting it to fit into the relief.

A few drops of cyclomethicone on the cable and the inner surface of the relief did the job. After about an hour, the CM had evaporated, leaving me with a firmly anchored cable. If anyone's interested, I can snap a photo of the completed unit.

So after the lubricant evaporated, you were just left with an interference fit? Or did it also bond the plastics?

...If anyone's interested, I can snap a photo of the completed unit.
Yes, picture please! No pics = Didn't happen.
So, what is this cyclomethicone?

OK, answered my own question.
Cyclomethicone is an alcohol-free, clear, colorless, odorless, silicone liquid used as a carrying and wetting agent for personal care products(and, evidently, a temporary lube for strain relief install). It can be used as-is as a body spray or used as a replacement for petroleum based solvents because it will not contribute to the ozone-depletion and global warming.

Thanks for the tip. I probably would have tried to boil the part in water to expand it and then proceeded to burn myself. The part would likely cool before arriving at it's final posotion getting stuck part way!

Greg

I'll grab a shot of the completed job.

I've been proselytizing about the wonders of cyclomethicone for years here. I first started using on very badly degraded 1/2" tapes--those with binder bleed or encrusted with mold. Did wonders without damaging the original. I've used it to recover those dreadful 5.25" Wabash floppies that everyone hates.

The stuff wets about anything, so not like water. A little goes a long way--and its inexpensive. It's used, for example, as a horse tail and mane de-tangler--as well as for human hair. It's in lotions, soaps, you name it. Just don't spill it on the floor--you'll have your own slip-and-slide. It does eventually evaporate.

Back