Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

My eyes are not what they used to be....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eyes are not what they used to be....

So I have been doing a lot of small trace repair as of late. And I can tell the strain on my eyes is pretty severe. Its giving me headaches and other fatigue. after a couple hours of staring at PCBs close up I find I have trouble focusing on anything else for a couple houses afterwards. I had Lasik done 18 years ago and it was one of the best choices I ever made but as things happen even that cant help with this type of work and getting older.

I bought a really nice high output LED gooseneck lamp to assist in lighting specific areas but I feel enough is enough;But I need magnification.
    I am thinking some kind of magnifying goggles may work best. Does anyone have any ideas or use something along those lines now? I would appreciate the advice on the topic.

Mick

This is my go to item:

Optivisor 5X
    https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiV...7289160&sr=8-5

I've got the 7 and 10 as well, but you have to bring the object closer to see it.

Comment

Thanks Alan, I have seen similar products. The link you added however only 1.5X to 3.5X magnification. You like the 5X Magnification? I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.

Comment

Wait'll you get older. For years I've been using the optivisors (I have a full set) for routine work--my go-to pair is the 10x; I with they made a 20x. Also, B&L Stereozoom microscope, various loupes as well as USB cameras. Modern fine-pitch stuff is getting to be outside my physical capabilities, however. You need to see something to do anything with it.

Not that my eyes were any great shucks to start with...

Comment

Yea working on boards is a pain when you get older. I had to get bifocals (progressive lenses) a few years ago.

I suggest finding something to do magnification to make things easier.
          What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
          Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
          Boxed apps and games for the above systems
          Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
            Thanks Alan, I have seen similar products. The link you added however only 1.5X to 3.5X magnification. You like the 5X Magnification? I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.
            Sorry I misstated that - the one I have is marked with a 5 (I guess DA-5), but it only shows 2.5X magnification. This is the best one imho because you don't have to pull stuff up super close to see it clearly. I guess it is the dipotric number:

A dioptric number and a magnification number are not the same thing. Diopter strength represents a specific magnification power (X). For example, a 5-diopter provides 2.5X magnification (at a distance of 8”)

>I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.

This is a concern - the DA5 one says 8" focal length, but I can see things clearly if I bring them to within 12" of it. You just flip it down and when you need it and out of the way when you don't.

I *probably* need some glasses, but it is really only the up close vision that I have an issue with.

I have a microscope mounted to my desk for soldering, no visors needed then!

Comment

Also, one thing not mentioned is light. Brighter lights improve your depth of focus and improve detail resolution (seeing with the cones rather than the rods) I've got a 20 (real) watt COB LED used as a work light. You don't look directly at the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                Also, one thing not mentioned is light. Brighter lights improve your depth of focus and improve detail resolution (seeing with the cones rather than the rods) I've got a 20 (real) watt COB LED used as a work light. You don't look directly at the light.
                I mentioned a better light. I bought this one a few years ago. Very bright and I can angle it wherever I need it. Was $100.00 if I remember right. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway I bought the optivisor. Seems the lens is removable? Can you just buy different magnification lenses if you already own the device to save cost?

Comment

I think you can buy the lenses, but it seems like they are always so close to the price of getting another visor that that is the way I went when I ordered them. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be changing lenses out of them as it is much easier to just grab the different visor so long as I don't misplace it!

Comment

And there are Chinese clones of the optivisor. Just don't buy one with plastic lenses--they scratch too easily.

If you need more magnification and want to keep distance reasonable, you may want to search on "binocular loupe" on eBay. Your dentist or surgeon may be using one. I could never get used to using one, however--the field of view is pretty small.

Comment

I use a 2.25X magnifier on a gooseneck with integrated LED light.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08C284L...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's not the nicest available and I've found the extra light is more helpful than the 2x lens, but it's very handy to have mounted to the edge of my soldering area.

This particular model was bought to a price point for someone wanting to buy me a Birthday gift a couple of years ago, I probably would have gone for a larger lens and higher magnification if I was shopping without their budget.

I also have an Optivisor but find myself using this light & lens more often. I can't figure out the viewing distances needed to use both at once.
                      Last edited by TheDrip; April 1, 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I've got two of those using the circline fluorescent lamps. Nice illumination, but the magnification is not very powerful.

Comment

How about something on the order of this?

lamp.JPG

https://www.grainger.com/product/6MN...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                          Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Comment

What I have--wwGrainger makes it stupid expensive, however. There are cheaper LED versions.

Mine is outfitted with a weighted base, so it can be moved anywhere on the tabletop. I use it mostly as a light source, not a magnifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                              What I have--wwGrainger makes it stupid expensive, however. There are cheaper LED versions.

Mine is outfitted with a weighted base, so it can be moved anywhere on the tabletop. I use it mostly as a light source, not a magnifier.
                              At my (our) age it's almost a must if you're doing small work. Even with better prescription glasses it's still tough to see the little things. I just got new reading glasses and I insisted that I wanted to be able to read the 'date' in my watch and it worked out okay. Five years and counting with cataract surgery and all is well.
                              Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Comment

Working...
                              X