• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My eyes are not what they used to be....

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I have been doing a lot of small trace repair as of late. And I can tell the strain on my eyes is pretty severe. Its giving me headaches and other fatigue. after a couple hours of staring at PCBs close up I find I have trouble focusing on anything else for a couple houses afterwards. I had Lasik done 18 years ago and it was one of the best choices I ever made but as things happen even that cant help with this type of work and getting older.

I bought a really nice high output LED gooseneck lamp to assist in lighting specific areas but I feel enough is enough;But I need magnification.
I am thinking some kind of magnifying goggles may work best. Does anyone have any ideas or use something along those lines now? I would appreciate the advice on the topic.

Mick

Thanks Alan, I have seen similar products. The link you added however only 1.5X to 3.5X magnification. You like the 5X Magnification? I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.

Wait'll you get older. For years I've been using the optivisors (I have a full set) for routine work--my go-to pair is the 10x; I with they made a 20x. Also, B&L Stereozoom microscope, various loupes as well as USB cameras. Modern fine-pitch stuff is getting to be outside my physical capabilities, however. You need to see something to do anything with it.

Not that my eyes were any great shucks to start with...

Yea working on boards is a pain when you get older. I had to get bifocals (progressive lenses) a few years ago.

I suggest finding something to do magnification to make things easier.

Thanks Alan, I have seen similar products. The link you added however only 1.5X to 3.5X magnification. You like the 5X Magnification? I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.

Sorry I misstated that - the one I have is marked with a 5 (I guess DA-5), but it only shows 2.5X magnification. This is the best one imho because you don't have to pull stuff up super close to see it clearly. I guess it is the dipotric number:

A dioptric number and a magnification number are not the same thing. Diopter strength represents a specific magnification power (X). For example, a 5-diopter provides 2.5X magnification (at a distance of 8”)

>I am looking for something to wear, where I can still look at something on my bench without needed to hold it up to my face.

This is a concern - the DA5 one says 8" focal length, but I can see things clearly if I bring them to within 12" of it. You just flip it down and when you need it and out of the way when you don't.

I *probably* need some glasses, but it is really only the up close vision that I have an issue with.

I have a microscope mounted to my desk for soldering, no visors needed then!

Also, one thing not mentioned is light. Brighter lights improve your depth of focus and improve detail resolution (seeing with the cones rather than the rods) I've got a 20 (real) watt COB LED used as a work light. You don't look directly at the light.

Also, one thing not mentioned is light. Brighter lights improve your depth of focus and improve detail resolution (seeing with the cones rather than the rods) I've got a 20 (real) watt COB LED used as a work light. You don't look directly at the light.

I mentioned a better light. I bought this one a few years ago. Very bright and I can angle it wherever I need it. Was $100.00 if I remember right. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NTN5SA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway I bought the optivisor. Seems the lens is removable? Can you just buy different magnification lenses if you already own the device to save cost?

I think you can buy the lenses, but it seems like they are always so close to the price of getting another visor that that is the way I went when I ordered them. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be changing lenses out of them as it is much easier to just grab the different visor so long as I don't misplace it!

And there are Chinese clones of the optivisor. Just don't buy one with plastic lenses--they scratch too easily.

If you need more magnification and want to keep distance reasonable, you may want to search on "binocular loupe" on eBay. Your dentist or surgeon may be using one. I could never get used to using one, however--the field of view is pretty small.

I use a 2.25X magnifier on a gooseneck with integrated LED light.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08C284LLP/?coliid=I3KBZXAW13HHD6&colid=S3DKHKXVLU3I&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's not the nicest available and I've found the extra light is more helpful than the 2x lens, but it's very handy to have mounted to the edge of my soldering area.

This particular model was bought to a price point for someone wanting to buy me a Birthday gift a couple of years ago, I probably would have gone for a larger lens and higher magnification if I was shopping without their budget.

I also have an Optivisor but find myself using this light & lens more often. I can't figure out the viewing distances needed to use both at once.

Last edited:
What I have--wwGrainger makes it stupid expensive, however. There are cheaper LED versions.

Mine is outfitted with a weighted base, so it can be moved anywhere on the tabletop. I use it mostly as a light source, not a magnifier.

At my (our) age it's almost a must if you're doing small work. Even with better prescription glasses it's still tough to see the little things. I just got new reading glasses and I insisted that I wanted to be able to read the 'date' in my watch and it worked out okay. Five years and counting with cataract surgery and all is well.

So I have been doing a lot of small trace repair as of late. And I can tell the strain on my eyes is pretty severe. Its giving me headaches and other fatigue. after a couple hours of staring at PCBs close up I find I have trouble focusing on anything else for a couple houses afterwards. I had Lasik done 18 years ago and it was one of the best choices I ever made but as things happen even that cant help with this type of work and getting older.

Mick

One thing to consider is that it takes time for you to develop the symptoms. The inner working of the eye itself are super stable (one caveat on that remark see below), but the outer surface is not stable always.

When we concentrate on a task, the spontaneous or involuntary blinking rate drops to a low value and there is more evaporation of the tear film.

The tear film is actually a complex 3 layer structure, the surface of the eye is hydrophobic, so a mucin layer made by conjunctival goblet cells binds to the corneal surface cells, that layer hydrophobic on one side and hydrophilic on the other, binds to the salt water layer of the tears, this is made by the lacrimal gland in the super-temporal orbital area. This salt water layer forms the bulk of the tear film thickness. Then floating on top of the tear film, is a thin oil layer (like an oil slick floats on seawater). This oil is made by oil glands called meibomian glands, that are in the eyelids. There are small holes just behind where the eye lashes come out of the skin. All the three tear layers have to be in good order, or the eye can dry out very quickly, especially while concentrating, with reduced blinking and especially with low relative humidity too.

Once the dried areas on the corneal surface occur, it causes visual blur, often eye discomfort and the dried areas are difficult to re-wet for a while.

Generally, there is a feedback loop, in that as the corneal sensory nerves detect drying, it increases the lacrimal gland output. This loop is not as effective after Lasik, because many corneal nerves were cut at the time the flap was made and they don't fully regenerate. In young people with an abundant tear film its usually not an issue, but in older people dry eye contraindicates a Lasik procedure for this reason.

However, as we age the lacrimal gland output drops, and the oil glands in the eyelids start to produce less effective thicker or abnormal oil and its called meibomian gland dysfunction.Various treatments are available, including intense pulse light and meibomian gland expression (just hot compresses work well in most cases)

A simple test at the optometrist(Or Ophthalmologist) is the tear film break up time, by looking at the microscope, asking the person not to blink and seeing how long it takes for the tear film layers to destabilize. Another test (Shirmer's) measures the output from the lacrimal gland over time.

So it is the case that many symptoms that people call "eye strain" are in fact various versions of dry eye, especially if they start up 10 or 20 minutes after starting concentrating on a visual task. The headaches are often secondary to neck posture issues.

The eye of course is a transducer and it can no more strain itself to see something than a microphone can strain itself to hear something.

There is a caveat of course. In our late 40's (but the the timing is variable) we develop Presbyopia. This is a failure of the dynamic range of the eye's auto-focus mechanism involving the ciliary muscle and the natural lens in the eye, so the ability for the focus to correct for an object near to the eye progressively decreases and people find they have to hold the object further away from their face to focus on it until "their arms are not long enough". The solution, generally, is reading or near glasses. There can sometimes be a spasm of the ciliary muscle after prolonged attempts at near work when the auto-focus mechanism is on its lasts legs, which results in a near focal shift that takes a while to wear off after periods of concentration (called accommodative spasm), but normally this does not happen if near glasses are used as it relaxes the system. So if you have become presbyopic and are not using near glasses, this is another explanation for your symptoms.

One thing you could do is visit an optometrist and get them to look at the meibomian gland output, pressing on them and looking at the oil at the slitlamp microscope can be helpful. If it is abnormal then hot compresses with a warm face washer cloth and pressure can help improve the quality of the oil. And maybe look at the tear break up time.

Another thing is, you could try pre-lubricating your eyes a few minutes prior to near work with artificial tears from the pharmacy, Systane Ultra is a good product. Then if you have been working for an hour, have a break and add an additional drop to each eye. These drops do not have any drugs in them so you cannot over do it. Most people who use drops for dry eyes barely use enough.

Last edited:
When my presbyopia became intolerable (in my 50's), I found that more light and x1.5 reading glasses were the answers for me. I also have reading glasses of varying stronger strengths for performing close-in work (e.g. soldering).

Back