• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LSMI - Laser Magnetic Storage International

PeterNC

Veteran Member
Laser Magnetic Storage International (LMSI) was a subsidiary of Philips that designed and manufactured optical and magnetic media. It began as a joint venture between Philips and Control Data Corporation.

Products
CM-100: external CD-ROM.
CM-121: external optical storage.
CM-201: internal 5.25" SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-205: internal 5.25" CD-ROM drive (1X speed) with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-206: internal 5.25" CD-ROM drive (2X speed) with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-212: internal SCSI 5.25" CD-ROM drive.
CM 221: external SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-225: external CD-ROM drive with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-231: external SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-250: internal 5.25 CD-ROM drive (1X speed).
CM-50: external CD-DROM drive.
LD-510: internal SCSI CD-ROM drive.

The proprietary 16PIN LMSI CD-ROM interface was relatively short lived and existed on LMSI interface cards and a few ISA sound cards:

Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1620
Sound Blaster 16 ASP CSP CT1780
Media Vision Jazz 16 LMSI
Pro Audio Spectrum LMSI
Magnetic products were geared towards corporate mini computer environments (like the IBM AS/400).

LD-4100: cartridge optical storage.
LF-4500: cartridge optical storage.

Sold under the Philips brand:
CM-207: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM[15]
CM-208: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM
CM-218: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM

I had one of these for a couple of years. 8 bit card, 16 pin. External cd-rom that looked like a audio component with the phillips branding. Worked in a friends XT! (at least it did...guy broke everything i gave him last i knew)

I've got the drivers for it somewhere if anyone's interested.

He doesn't have a pressure washer and a YouTube channel by any chance, does he?

:lol:

YouTube channel? Yes

Pressure washer? Oh, no. He's quite intelligent enough to understand certain toys can cause grievous bodily injury.

Actually, i was a bit crude with my wording. Its 1/2 a matter of circumstance (stored said XT/AT machine in a basement before he realized how badly humid it got down there) When i decided to try and revive it the traces were swollen so badly it looked like spray-on hammered-look paint. I had to sand and paint the metal of the case to prevent further rust/rot.

Though I still can't get him to invest in a decent online ups in a house with 1/2 the wiring shot... :hammer:

...and there's a ti-99 with the expansion chassis down there last i knew...

Ouch.

Fix the wiring, don't hide the problem. Wiring in that state really is a fire hazard. If it were me and I couldn't afford to inspect and replace and bad wiring and connections, I'd at least be inclined to install new arc-fault breakers, and derate them considerably. It would at least certainly be worthwhile to listen for arcs with an untuned AM radio receiver.

I had one of these for a couple of years. 8 bit card, 16 pin. External cd-rom that looked like a audio component with the phillips branding. Worked in a friends XT! (at least it did...guy broke everything i gave him last i knew)

I've got the drivers for it somewhere if anyone's interested.
I realize this is an old post - but I could really use the drivers for the CM-205 controller/CD-ROM - I've lost my floppy - can't find online - thanks!

CM 221: external SCSI CD-ROM drive.
Just for the record: the CM-221 is an external LMSI drive, not SCSI. Why would LMSI even release drives *not* using their own LMSI interface? It's shocking how wide-spread all that false information is.

cm221.jpg

The CM-201 is also LMSI, not SCSI. And while I only *know* it for these two, I assume they never did any SCSI drive at all. They are all LMSI.

Did some research, the CM 231 was SCSI, as stated by PC Magazine. The CM 221, 204, and 214 are listed as being "serial" (=LMSI) in the same issue.

Back