• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pcw 9512

oldgreywolf

I have bought two Amstrad PCW 9512 computers, on one of them when powered up the screen comes on (white screen) but nothing happens, the computer tries to read the Boot disk (System/Utilities/Basic CP/M plus) then beeps a couple of times but will not start up, I intend to refurbish both computers whilst at home or at least get one up and running, any help/ advice would be great,
Amstrad PCW 9512  boot .jpg

Unless you've got a source of the CF2 floppies, I'd install a conventional 3.5" drive. You can then use a PC imaging tool to write new floppies.

If the disk works with the other one, check the floppy drive belt. This is the most common fault on these systems.

Thanks Chuck, Timo, I am about to open the PC up and have a look inside To check the floppy drive belt and look for ware/dust etc.. I have also considered a new drive and wondering if a 3.5" would be hard to come by?

You can use a bog-standard 1.44M floppy drive in 720K mode; you might have to select one that has an option for READY/ rather than DISK CHANGED. Of course, the pinout is different (watch out for the power connector; the +5 and +12 are interchanged). It's not difficult with a little planning.

Somewhere, in my kitchen freezer, I have some replacement belts for the CF2 drive. There may be some still offered from UK sources.

If you decide to replace the floppy drive, go for a Gotek. These work fine in the PCW series.

But of course, having the original drive working is always a plus, even if it's less convenient.

I still have one or two spare drive belts as well. What's your location?

I am in East Yorkshire, I have purchased a drive belt from eBay -
flatribbonbelt.jpg
AMSTRAD PCW SERIES 8256 8512 9512
3" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE RUBBER BELT REPAIR REPLACEMENT

Replacement Rubber Drive Belt for Amstrad PCW Series with 3" Floppy Drives.
Also suitable for Spectrum +3, Amstrad CPC6128, DDI-1 FD-1 Floppy Drives.

also on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-At...y-modified-with-oled-screen-buzzer-and-rotary " With this device it is simple to expand old retro computers like Atari ST's, Commodore Amiga's, Acorn BBC/Master/Archimedes, PC's, Amstrad and Sinclair Spectrums to enable USB based file handling of disc images that are readily available on the internet, or for backup purposes of your own old style floppy discs." looking for more info to see if this will work...

Back