• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reset the BIOS in an IBM PS/2

Dms12444

Experienced Member
[wiki]Category:How_To[/wiki]
The BIOS in a PS/2 is maintained by the CMOS battery. When this battery fails the BIOS is lost and must be reset. Resetting the BIOS varies depending on the specific model though all models require a reference diskette to restore the BIOS, if your computer did not come with one, you can find them here: [footnote]http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/IBM_PS/2_reference_and_starter_diskettes[/footnote].
[h="2"] How to identify the problem [/h]

If an IBM PS/2 shows error's 161 and 163 in POST then this guide should be used, if not and other error cods are seen please consult the forum here:[footnote]http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum.php[/footnote]. Error 161 is a dead CMOS battery. Error 163 is called configuration error and usually occurs when the BIOS is reset from a dead battery. Usually the PS/2 will also show a message that looks like a crossed out ok with an arrow pointing to a stack of books.
[h="2"] How do I repair the problem [/h]

This problem can be resolved in a number of ways, varying depending on the model. BEFORE you start the procedure below I recommend testing the diskette image from the website above to confirm that the disk image is correct and that the drive itself is operational (any mechanical device is prone to failure).
1:Download the reference disk on another computer, run the file and follow the on screen instructions to make a reference diskette for your specific PS/2.

2:Test the reference disk to confirm operation.

3:Open the computer (Take note of any removed screws/IC's), in most cases you will see a visible battery, in some cases however such as in a PS/2 model 55sx a Dallas clock module was used containing the battery. If the battery is visible, order a replacement and install in the computer. If you have a Dallas clock module see here: [footnote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKLMWlBd3s[/footnote]

4:Once step 3 is completed, reassemble the computer being careful to note the placement of screws and any removed cards/semiconductors.

5:Start the computer, if step 3 was done correctly error 161 should no longer be present, though error 163 will appear.

6:Turn off the computer, place the reference diskette you created in step 1 in the drive of your PS/2.

7:Turn the computer on, this time error 161 will appear, but the computer will then load the BIOS off the disk.

8:The diskette should allow you to restore the BIOS, do so now.

9:Allow the computer to restart normally, your computer should if you followed the steps above boot into the Operating System on the disk (if present).

Hi: I have a P/S 2 Model 55X, that needed the Dallas Clock Module, I replaced it and then used the reference Disk to get rid of errors 161, 162, now i get an error 165 (options not set), I run the automatic configuration and it tells me that I need a file for a card installed in slot number 4, I don't have that file, so my question is how do it get around this problem??

I don't have any option cards installed on the computer, so I don't know which ADF file to download, also the message says this adapter is on slot 4 but I only see 3 slots on my particular machine.

I don't have any option cards installed on the computer, so I don't know which ADF file to download, also the message says this adapter is on slot 4 but I only see 3 slots on my particular machine.

Your Model 55SX has only three slots. The fourth "slot" is actually connected to the hard drive via a long cable running from the top of the expansion slot riser and its 72 pin connector over to the hard drive. The hard drive is basically connected via a pared-down Microchannel slot to the rest of the system.

As the hard drive and controller were both made by IBM, their ADF (and diagnostics) files are already on the reference diskette. If you are getting this error, the hard drive may be bad or its connection is faulty. A common problem is that of the mylar ribbon cable--it can be easily torn if mishandled.

You may also have one of the (rare!) aftermarket riser cards that was made for the 55SX to enable the use of a standard IDE hard disk. Procom Technology manufactured such a thing. In that case, there will likely be several ICs on the riser board and the 72 pin connector that should be at the top may not be there any longer. If you have one of these, you will need to find a separate ADF. The QBMCA software, which can be turned up with a web search, can be downloaded and placed on a bootable floppy diskette. As long as the floppy disk drive works, it will tell you exactly what ADF you require.

Back