• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I dont knw how comunicate with printer port

Arun Ricky

Hi to all members I am new here I want to learn programming for electronic circuits bt i dont now how to communicate with printer port I tried before take knowledge from internet but fail my system doesnt work like them it shows some error of system 32. Can anyone help me to do so.

I trust that you're using Windows 9x or MS-DOS as your host system. Windows NT....Windows 10 doesn't work the same way, although for 2K-XP there is a "GIVEIO" driver that can let some programs at the printer port.

It depends on what you mean "communicate with the printer port". If you just want to send pre-formatted data, for example HPGL, G-Code or similar vector graphics code then you can use the .net "RawPrinterHelper" class as described here:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322090

(This also has links to how to do the same thing from VB6)

but its purely one way, that is you can write but not read. For two-way I/O I generally load a copy of WIN9X into a VMware Player VM and map the LPT port across. I have had good results with that for many thing, but its not as fast as a real printer port.

If you want real bit-level I/O then a modern PC is not really an suitable platform. You would be better using an Arduino, Raspberry PI or one of the other embedded solutions (Beagle Board black). If you really want to stick with a PC running Linux might also help...

Thanks.. chuck(g) for reply.. I need ur guidence to learn programming n all stuff plz help me in this I m tried from a long period bt I didnt find any one who can guide me properly. first I wnt to knw wt changes I hv to make wide my pc to convert it in a ic programmer or making program for electronic circuits. I want you to add as a friend if u can. Plzz its a humble request to you. In my city there is no such any teacher who can teach me deeply these things thanks... I hope you under stand my problem

Thanks for reply.. I m new here can you plz help me learn programming n stuff I m trying from long time bt I didnot find any one who can guide me to learn these things in my city there is no such teacher who can teach in deep its a humble request to you plz help me to learn... add me as ur friend if u cn... thanks awaiting for ur kind reply

What are you trying to do with the parallel port? If we have a clearer idea, we can make suggestions.

It is VERY possible to communicate bidirectionally with that, or almost ANY port from DOS, or ANY Windows, Linux,etc. version--just takes different methods for each OS...

Can you give us an outline of what you are tring to accomplish?

gwk

Hi Dave,

Yeah, there are several around, and they work great if you don't require any real throughput, and you can work in a polled mode rather than responding in a timely fashion to an interrupt, and then que responses in a buffer.

TO do that properly, you need to be at Ring0 in Windows 7/8x/10, and that is going to require a IOCTL-based kernel mode driver (which I can point you to).

The DLLs are all USER mode (Ring3 with boundary transitions), and can be adequate if you don't need the speed.

gwk

I did recently find one app that needs the speed. It loads programs into the "Baby" valve computer Replica and it can be found some where on here:-

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/CCS/SSEM/volunteers/archive.html

basically it needs to set a bit every 10us and it fails under emulation, so I would expect it to fail with the DLLs. The code in use has some assembler embedded in Turbo Pascal....
... I think I will probably build an Arduino replacement, if that will go fast enough, with an SD card reader so we don't end up transferring data on floppy.

Hi to all members I am new here I want to learn programming for electronic circuits bt i dont now how to communicate with printer port I tried before take knowledge from internet but fail my system doesnt work like them it shows some error of system 32. Can anyone help me to do so.

I guess bottom line is this isn't a place to LEARN programming, or probably even to get support for code, unless its really vintage. As you mention System32 I guess you are coding for windows devolved from the NT kernel, so 2000,XP,Vista,7,8,8.1 or even Technical Preview...
.... I would start with the support forum for whatever tool you have chosen. If its the free Microsoft tools, either the Express or Community editions, then start with MSDN

https://msdn.microsoft.com/

if its GCC via MINGW then there are some resources listed here:-

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Ask_for_help

If that doesn't help then this Microsoft article, which is my favourite

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555375

contains information on how to find support for Microsoft and Non-Microsoft products. If you want help read it carefully...

I want to do programing for electronic systems I want to send programs by printer port and recive intrupt data from the system

Yeah, doesn't much sound like a "Vintage" problem here, so my suggestion would be to heed the support advice above, and then head over to a general electronics/programming forum that will be better suited to help you with what you want to do.

good luck-gwk

In which language you want to learn programming for electronic circuits i will help you to communicate with printer port and give you some knowledge about it

Back