Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

NanTan Early 1990's laptops Guide (386/486/Pentium)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NanTan Early 1990's laptops Guide (386/486/Pentium)

NanTan is a Taiwan based manufacturer of laptop computers and other digital devices. They are about the closest thing to a "White Box" laptop that ever existed as they sold these seemingly almost generic laptop computers under various models. This page is my attempt to document these devices as much as possible since there's almost no information about them on the internet, and I have owned 3-4 of these over the years myself. They still exist and currently go under the name of Clevo. I'll put a company profile once I have more information on them.

Just a note that I will be adding to this article as I find more information - so please excuse any blank spots. This is pretty huge to work on. The reason I chose to make one page for multiple systems is to help collectors/gamers/etc find out more about their particular unit, or for me to find out from owners of these machines what is inside them and add it. I will be adding more photos of each model as I find them online.

Nan Tan sold these laptops under many names. These include....

Altima
    Duracom
    Enroy
    Eurocom
    Highscreen
    Liberty
    Lion

Nan Tan
    Prostar
    Ranger
    Sager
    Ultinet
    Vobis

A WORD ON POWER SUPPLIES

NanTan laptops are notorious for not having the power supplies provided with them. This is often a huge problem because the power supplies for most of the 1990-1993 models are 4-pin power supplies that seem to mystify most people. Thankfully our own retro-pc_user mentioned this.

PINOUT - Laptop uses a barrel DIN jack on the back, this is the pinout from the Laptop view.

Pins 1 & 2 (top two) deal with the charging circuit - I'm guessing a lower voltage trickle-charge setup designed to charge the battery.
    Pins 3 & 4 (bottom two) deal with the regular power-circuitry - pin 3 is ground, pin 4 is the voltage input for powering the laptop.

NOTE: The writer here is seriously tempted to do a write up on the below when/if he ever decides to buy one of these again and test it out.

A Reddit Post on Providing power to these laptops by converting them to a regular Barrel Jack....this looks like a great idea for these so you can use a more general PSU. I would not doubt there could be a way to wire up the charging circuitry to work this way as well and update the battery technologies using a BMC and some new cells as a lot of these could have some freed up room in the battery cases themselves or the chassis in the case of earlier models.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...otebook_power/

NANTAN LAPTOP MODELS

The Model of NanTan built laptops from the late 80's/early 1990's are easily found by the sticker on the bottom which will contain a model# that says "FMA" at the beginning. Later models such as the 9200 may have a "K" or "P" after the "FMA". - Please note this is a work in progress and I'll be updating/editing as I find more information. Much of the information was pulled from my own machines, internet auctions, and the FCC directly.
    PICTURE MODEL# + SPECS DETAILS
    IDuwiBZ3IDmQPUGg6Be6A4nJ8zg2SypgQFm-b5at06nfr7TiXDcU19l-QYSG40djIBNJMEyrDnAo4RTfQr6B.jpg FMA2100 1990 - 12MHz 80286 based laptop computer.
    Vintage%20Nan%20Tan%20notebook%20computer%20FMA-2200_20171231121020.jpg FMA2200 1991 - 16MHz 80386 SX Based Laptop computer.
    FMA2500
    FMA3140 1990 - 8/16 MHz Laptop Computer (8086 or 286?)
    Retro-Laptop-FMA3300-386er-Notebook-80386DX-Lion-Electronics.jpg FMA3300
    FMA3300C (Color, DTSN)
    1991 - 80386 DX-33 based Laptop Computer. Shares it's chassis design with the later (and more common) 3500 model.
    generic-486dx-notebook-computer-1.21__79951.1490219465.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on.jpg FMA3500
    FMA3500SX (486SX)
    FMA3500C (Color, DTSN)
    The FMA3500 Model is pretty much identical to the 3300 models, however it came in more variants including a "Professional" model with a trackball where the 486 DX logo is on the right side above the keyboard, an SX model with a 486 SX-25 MHz, and the bog standard 486 DX-33 model. Just like the 3300, it uses a 12v NiCad battery pack that attaches to the back with thumbscrews, and no PCMCIA slots.

Unlike the 3300 though, later variants came with both DTSN and Active Matrix TFT LCD screens in 640x480p, and later versions also came in a dark gray color. Also the later units stopped using the 4-pin proprietary power supply and started using a regular barrel jack connection.

Just like the 3300 this model uses standard desktop components including 486 Socket 1 CPU, SIP memory, and 3.5" Floppy and IDE HDD.
    FMA3530C 1992 - 486 DX2-50 or 486 DX-25 based laptop computer, with later models coming with a 486 DX-33 and 486 DX-25 cpu (later budget model?).
    s-l300.jpg FMA3600 1994 - This laptop was based on the Intel Pentium 60/66 CPU.
    FMA5500
    FMA5500SX
    FMA5500C
    FMA5500CDX
    1992 - 486 based notebook computer. The 5500 and 5500CDX came with 486 DX-33 cpu, the 5500 SX came with a 486 SX-25, and the 5500C came with a 486 DX2-50 CPU.
    FMA6100 1991 - 8/16 MHz (286?) Laptop computer found in the FCC listings for NanTan.
    FMA6500 1993 - 486 DX based laptop computer at 25 and 33MHz.
    FMA6530 1992 - An i486 DX25 or DX33 based notebook computer featuring a 640x480 color LCD Screen (most likely DTSN).
    FMA7500 1994 - i486 DX-33 & DX-25 based laptop computer.
    42f7cdaa64e3cd24743637763c77b6af.jpg FMA7600 1994 - Intel Pentium 60 CPU.
    2WRiY4i7Oix7mPJx.jpg FMA8100 1990 - 20MHz 386, extended expansion functions.
    s-l225.jpg FMA8200 1993 - 486 DX-33 based Laptop computer. Appears to use a similar platform to the FMAx9200 series given placement of the CPU and RAM connections in the unit. It also appears this model had sound as an option.
    6bSA5VUqMICkk8tYejEFB90YswQYE_-Q2ByWZtkA9KO6x8o6zPdTSFFQGQPeACupvPogfMbdd5l66gO4apaHDXvcQeJgzrQQU1UCHoqRs3VT.jpg FMA86D
    FMA86T
    1996 - The FMA86D was one of the earliest 800x600 capable offerings made by NanTan. It was of course, a Pentium based computer with the more traditional trackpad and a CD-ROM drive installed (hence the thicker structure). These were based on the Pentium 60 CPU though an FCC Identifier lists the CPU as being a Pentium 50 for the FMA86T (maybe a downclocked Pentium 60?).
    s-l400.jpg FMAK9200
    FMAP9200
    1994 - The 9200 Series were a series of 486 based laptop computers with ESS688 Audio Drive audio, and either a Monochrome (FMAx9200M) or Color (FMAx9200D) DTSN LCD Screen. They also featured a 2 button track ball, 2 6-cell NiMH 9v Batteries located under each side of the palm wrest, a 1.44MB Floppy drive, and Proprietary memory upgrade socket located under the tool-less keyboard (2 latches on the upper corners). The AC Adapter used a standard barrel jack instead of the usual 4-pin connector used by most other NanTan built offerings on this page making them quite a nice retro-system with sound, color video, and an easy to replace PSU. These originally came with a 486 DX-33 CPU, but because of the socket 3 compatible CPU slot it's not uncommon to find these running a 486 DX2 or 486 DX4 level chip.
    FMA9400 1994 - Intel 486 DX-25 or DX-33 CPU.
    FMA9420 1994 - Intel 486 DX-25 or DX-33 CPU
    FMA9500 1995 - Intel 486 DX at 25 or 33MHz.
    Last edited by Mad-Mike; June 16, 2021, 12:48 PM. Reason: Added the 8200 Model Picture to that machine in the lineup. Remember W.I.P.
Working...
X