Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Data on 143 & 133 family parts from Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data on 143 & 133 family parts from Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5

Hi all,

well it seems I am the first to post in this forum.

I am trying to find information on a specific family of Amphenol connectors, used in the EAI TR-20 analog computer; and likely other EAI products.

I am really urgently trying to get clear information on the 143 and 133 family parts especially the male 133-022-23 which as far as I can tell ?, is 22 rectangular flat blade pin Male connector with round pins top and both of sides, at right angles to the blades to mount into a Printed Circuit board

They are detailed in "Amphenol Printed Circuit Connectors Catalog PC5", a copy of which came up on eBay recently, for a only $20

amphenol cat 2.JPG

amphenol cat 1.JPG

Seller in USA indicated they would not ship outside usa.

I sent seller a message, asking at least to pay for a scan of pages relating to the 133 and 143 family parts, or can they ship book to Australia.

SADLY they did NOT even respond. As a generalization, I note that USA sellers, that a/. only ship to usa, and b/. had very mixed type of items for sale (like more household trash-flee market bits) don't bother to reply to ebay emails that come from outside USA.

Seems this item was sold to 'best offer'. Hopefully it is someone on this forum or is friends of someone on the forum.

Had I not been sidetracked, what with my ladys medical appointments and Christmas, that when I had not heard back from seller, I should have asked someone on this group in USA, to buy it for me. I would have paid $20 via paypal into their account.

Hope someone can help with either a scan on 143 & 133 family parts ? or even the Catalog PC5 or at least does anyone have any of the male 133-022-23 connectors ?

IMG_20130902_033537.jpg

This is the DC amplifer that has the Amphenol connector I am trying to identify. I think its the 133-022-23. Last number indicates the type of pins on the pcb side. Since this is soldered to the PCB, I cannot read the part number which is on the reverse side. I am making assumption the -23 is this connector, but thats from reading the EAI spare parts manual. I really like to confirm by viewing item or seeing pic and info in a catalog.

regards
    David
    Last edited by inotarobot; December 28, 2015, 01:06 AM. Reason: added pic of dc amp showing the 133-022-23 Amphenol connector

I asked about these a long time ago and got no reply. They were also used on PDP-8s. If the TR-20 has the same connectors as the TR-10 then the sockets are double sided, but on the backplane both sides are commoned, so although the "Male" connector on the PCB is doube sided, it does not matter, both sides have the same signals on them. I built my extender card using a Tandy/Radioshack prototyping card I happened to pick up at a local Ham Rally. I think parts 276-190, 276-180 & 276-152 will fit the sockets on the back plane.

What did you want to know about the connectors?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks for asking what I needed to know. I should have got back to you sooner. I was really after the 3rd field digits in the part number that defined the tail forms and orientation of same.

Finally got a copy of the Amphenol Data for the 133 series board adaptors and mating 143 series receptacles.

Hope attached image data can get added to Bitsavers also.

It was very important to get as it shows and lists part number for the "board side" pin variants called 'contact tail style' as defined by the 3rd field number in the full part number.

In my case I know know 133-22- ?? for the EAI TR-20 amplifiers I am searching for, have the ?? being = to -23 having 0.40" diameter dip solder tails at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and being 0.156" long.

However I can also settle for -83 that has 0.40" diameter dip solder tails at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and being shorter at 0.125" long

so if anyone has or knows of 1 or more 133-022-23 or as option 133-022-83 then please let me know. and I will -> to get them

regards
      david

Comment

I would really like a couple of these as well. At present using the Tandy prototype boards....
        Dave
        G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

Originally posted by inotarobot View Post
          Hope attached image data can get added to Bitsavers also.
          will do

it would be nice to get the whole catalog scanned at some point

Comment

Originally posted by g4ugm View Post
            I would really like a couple of these as well. At present using the Tandy prototype boards....
            Dave are you also needing the 22 pin ones ?

I am beginning to think I will try 3d printing the 22 pin 2 piece bodies and cannabolize some 6 or 12 pin ones, to get the metal contacts.

Either that or I investigate what is minimum quantity I can order as a special run from some Asian company ( )

Might be that I just get the contacts made there and 3d print the 2 piece body.

Comment

I might miss something but isn't this the same type of connector used all over the place in HP98x0 calculator 3.96 mm pitch edge connector?

I bought some connector when repairing my HPs. I think both Sullins and EDAC have at least the females. Sullins seems to have male as well.

Mouser carry EDAC while Digikey has Sullins.
              www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Originally posted by MattisLind View Post
                I might miss something but isn't this the same type of connector used all over the place in HP98x0 calculator 3.96 mm pitch edge connector?

I bought some connector when repairing my HPs. I think both Sullins and EDAC have at least the females. Sullins seems to have male as well.

Mouser carry EDAC while Digikey has Sullins.
                Hi Matislind,

I have looked at Sullins catalog and not seen the male type with the tails on opposite sides ie 133-022-23. So I have sent support at Sullins a request to find out if they make them or if they could make them, and how much for 50 or 100 of.

As I expected this American companies support email, replied within a few minutes acknowledging my inquiry and giving me request Number to use in follow up.

Cannot say that about a lot of other countries online support.

thanks for that lead.

I will now look at Mouser again, but think I had already looked there with no joy
                Last edited by inotarobot; August 23, 2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

Just had the following helpful reply from Sullins.

Naomi Hartley (SULLINS)
                  Aug 25, 5:02 PM PDT

Hi David,

Upon further review if a drop in replacement is not needed, possible suggestion is to replace AMP part numbers with Sullins male and female connector.

Suggested part numbers would be:
                  143-022-03 ECM22DSUH (dwg C12614)
                  143-022-01 ECM22DSEH-S243 (dwg C1187)
                  133-022-23 GCM22MMFD (Preliminary DWG# C12614)
                  Drawings are linked below my name.

In the Amphenol 133- series each pair of contact heads are shorting, or in contact with each other.

The contacts heads on the Sullins cross pins are independent, which may or may not make a difference.

We will be happy to send samples to allow you to evaluate. Please let me know if you like for us to send.

Best Regards,

Naomi Hartley | Sullins Connector Solutions | www.sullinscorp.com | 888.774.3100

====

so thats the latest.

I will ask her if it is acceptable to have the pdf's displayed here or whether I can send them to Al to add to Bitsavers. BTW the drawings are multi page and VERY detailed.

Dave (g4ugm) since you and I are outside USA, and Naomi is offering samples, perhaps one of the USA members here, that has an EAI TR-10 or TR-20, can offer to have their address used to send the samples to, so they can evaluate the issues of mating with the AMP originals, and post results on here.

I am lead to understand these are also used on the early PDP's and HP calculators etc
                  Last edited by inotarobot; August 26, 2016, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X