• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

User's Manual/Application Notes for the NEC V40/V50 CPU

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I've got the datasheet and V-series family guide for the NEC V40, but not the user's manual. I'm looking for specific information on configuring the integrated peripherals. Neither of the aforementioned documents have much on that subject.

Thanks!

Volume 2 of the 1987 NEC Microcomputer Products databook has about 120 pages on the V40 & V50; anything in particular you need to know or do I have to send you the whole book?

Volume 2 of the 1987 NEC Microcomputer Products databook has about 120 pages on the V40 & V50; anything in particular you need to know or do I have to send you the whole book?

:blush: I forgot that I had the 1991 edition of the "16 Bit V-Series Microprocessor Data Book". It's got what I need--pardon the wetware bit-rot.

No sweat; I always learn something, even if it's just the location of the book ;-)

Interesting read though; I'd never looked at those CPUs before.

No sweat; I always learn something, even if it's just the location of the book ;-)

Interesting read though; I'd never looked at those CPUs before.

I've got a little box here that's not much bigger than a 5.25" drive box. It contains a 10MHz V40, a NS 8473 FDC, two parallel ports and a Yamaha DSP chip and 128K of DRAM as well as a 128KB EPROM and a 1.44MB floppy drive. There's a debug header connected to the serial I/O pins on the V40.

It was made to be inserted between your PC and your printer and hooked to the phone line. The idea was that it would send and receive FAXes, printing them on your printer, or saving them to floppy. Kind of a cool little device--and perfectly capable of running a 16-bit OS, or running 8080 code in emulation mode.

I thought I'd have some fun with it. You wouldn't happen to have a datasheet for the Yamaha YM7109, would you?

I thought I'd have some fun with it. You wouldn't happen to have a datasheet for the Yamaha YM7109, would you?
Nope; sorry.

Yeah, there are all sorts of little boxes like that, print & terminal servers, buffers, etc. that have the basics in them and are hackable...

While we're on the subject, can a V40/50 be used as a drop-in replacement for a '186/8, the way the V20/30 can replace an 8088/6, and if so, any advantage?

--T

Well, Chuck'd know much better than I, but to my ignorant eye they look like completely different fish kettles...

Functionality's close but the pinout's different--and so are the peripheral setup incantations.

If you want to see how far the 8088 archtecture can get stretched, have a look at the V33 plus (uPD70335). Register windows, special interrupt modes, lots of interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Back