• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: Televideo 803 docs

leaknoil

Experienced Member
Anyone have anything for this ? Searched all the usual suspects but, found nothing online. An operations manual would be great but, anything else would help too. Failing that anyone know the settings for the DIP switches on the back ? I'd like to get it out of inverse video mode.

have you looked on Bitsavers?

There's the TS802 maintenance manual there as well as the User's Manual for the TS802H. That maintenance manual has the full schematic set, field bulletins and troubleshooting guide--it's a goldmine.

I saw those but, those are pretty radically different looking then the 803. I guess there could be similarities though. The machines look so different you really think it deserved more then a 001 change.

This is the 803 I just got
803 front.jpg
803 side.jpg

and here's the 802

Televideo_TS802_System_1.jpg

It was my impression that all of the TVI 800 series systems used the same processor setup--a Z80A. The 802 was Televideo-ugly, just like their terminals. The 803 and the diskless 800 were updated packaging and (thankfully) a better keyboard, just like the later 900-series terminals (I hated the old black-and-white TVI keyboards!).

At any rate, I have the TS803 User's Manual and probably a boot disk somewhere, if that's any help.

It was my impression that all of the TVI 800 series systems used the same processor setup--a Z80A. The 802 was Televideo-ugly, just like their terminals..

Yea but, Molly Ringwald never used a 802. World of difference ;)

file.jpg

Anyway, I'd love to get a copy of the actual manual. If for nothing else then to just have it.

Last edited:
I can send the manual to Al Kossov for Bitsavers the next time I do a bookshelf purge. ISTR I've also got a TVI 922 terminal manual there somewhere also.

BTW, did you get my PM?

I can send the manual to Al Kossov for Bitsavers the next time I do a bookshelf purge. ISTR I've also got a TVI 922 terminal manual there somewhere also.

BTW, did you get my PM?

I did get your PM. Thanks.

Could you look in see which dip switch takes it out of inverse mode ?

Easy enough.

Switch 1-3 select the baud rate for the serial port.
Switch 4-8 are specified as being closed.
Switch 9 closed is black on green; open is green on black.
Switch 10 is closed and unused.

Easy enough.

Switch 1-3 select the baud rate for the serial port.
Switch 4-8 are specified as being closed.
Switch 9 closed is black on green; open is green on black.
Switch 10 is closed and unused.

Finally. It was driving me mad. I can't stand inverse. Thanks. My eyes thank you. Funny inverse is the default.

Page 2.9 "Default Switch Sections as set by TeleVideo" says

10: either
9: open
8: either
7-1: closed

I think the 9 open was just a matter of engineering convenience. One side of each switch is connected to ground; the other is pulled high with a 470 ohm 10-position DIP resistor pack. The signal for switch 9 goes directly to A104, which is some sort of graphics controller (house number, so it's hard to tell what's in it.

Flipping the default the "right way" would have had the designer looking for a spare inverting gate, or a redesign of the controller. In either case, it probably wasn't worth the trouble.

As shipped, it's NC. From the schematic, it appears to be some sort of test mode switch, but isn't active unless the jumper at E1 is moved to the BC position (it's normally in the AB position). This seems to duplicate the functionality at P4 (probably takes a specially-wired plug for testing). What it does is probably buried in the ROM, but I suspect it allows for something like booting without a keyboard attached.

Back