• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WD WD1002A-WX1 MFM Card

kishy

Veteran Member
I've recently picked up an 8-bit ISA MFM ST412 hard drive controller card, a Western Digital WD1002A-WX1. It has provisions for two drives and a power header for one (don't know the pinout though).

The problem: though the card works fine as it is, I'd like to have documentation for it, as well as make a cable for the power header. This *may* be a standardized pinout since it is the same physical setup as my Adaptec card, but I like playing it safe. (it is a 2x3 berg connector with pin 5 removed)

WD's site has documentation for other cards in the WD1002-series, but not this one, and the info they provide for those cards doesn't match this card. Anyone have original docs? This card is not in TH99...the same model is but the card shown is physically different and settings don't correspond.

Thanks in advance

All I've got in my files for the 1002A-WX1 is the product sheet, which does mention that it can do 2:1 interleave.

The 1984 WD "Storage Products Handbook" has some nice gruesome detail on the 1002-WX2 (which oddly, is an earlier controller that appears to use the same chipset).

Instead of digging up some old spec, you'd probably be better off just sticking a multimeter to the pins and figuring out the voltages yourself. Word of warning though: The drive intended was a (possibly full height) 3.5" size drive. You probably don't want to drive a 5 1/4" half-height or "tanker" hard drive off of that. Remember the power is being taken from the ISA bus. I'd say most likely you're better off ignoring it and just using something from the PSU... but if you must, get out a multimeter.

...as well as make a cable for the power header. This *may* be a standardized pinout since it is the same physical setup as my Adaptec card, but I like playing it safe. (it is a 2x3 berg connector with pin 5 removed)...

I´ll provide the pinouts, but need the pinouts for the berg connector of the keyboard PCB that is the same style...

The connection as on the adapter should be:

12VDC...O......O...GND
12VDC...O..O..O...GND
Center pin is 5VDC

With a multimeter you can check against the I/O bus pinouts...

I've recently picked up an 8-bit ISA MFM ST412 hard drive controller card, a Western Digital WD1002A-WX1. It has provisions for two drives and a power header for one (don't know the pinout though).

The problem: though the card works fine as it is, I'd like to have documentation for it, as well as make a cable for the power header. This *may* be a standardized pinout since it is the same physical setup as my Adaptec card, but I like playing it safe. (it is a 2x3 berg connector with pin 5 removed)

I have several of these cards that look like this:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-di...L-CORPORATION-Two-MFM-ST506-412-driv-221.html

Are you referring to J4 as the power header? The only drives I have connected to these controllers use the standard power connector from the power supply, not through the ISA bus. The main real issue I have with these cards is the BIOS version. Some will only support 10MB and 20MB capacity drives. If you get a card with the SuperBios, it will support a 40MB drive like the Seagate ST-251. I haven't been able to tell from the label on the BIOS chip if it is a SuperBios or not. Have to go into the low level format utility using debug to find out the version. Would be nice to be able to get the SuperBios binary and burn an EPROM to update the cards I have.

All I've got in my files for the 1002A-WX1 is the product sheet, which does mention that it can do 2:1 interleave.

The 1984 WD "Storage Products Handbook" has some nice gruesome detail on the 1002-WX2 (which oddly, is an earlier controller that appears to use the same chipset).

Thanks for the 2:1 detail, that's useful.

Instead of digging up some old spec, you'd probably be better off just sticking a multimeter to the pins and figuring out the voltages yourself. Word of warning though: The drive intended was a (possibly full height) 3.5" size drive. You probably don't want to drive a 5 1/4" half-height or "tanker" hard drive off of that. Remember the power is being taken from the ISA bus. I'd say most likely you're better off ignoring it and just using something from the PSU... but if you must, get out a multimeter.

Good point about multimeter testing, though the pins are not far apart and for some reason I always get shaky when I need to be precise lol.

That's another good point about 5.25" drives. My understanding was that these cards that have power headers were specifically designed with the ISA PS/2 models which specifically had no power connectors, and those cases only allow for 3.5" drives to be installed, meaning the spec for the card only required enough juice for those.

I´ll provide the pinouts, but need the pinouts for the berg connector of the keyboard PCB that is the same style...

The connection as on the adapter should be:

12VDC...O......O...GND
12VDC...O..O..O...GND
Center pin is 5VDC

With a multimeter you can check against the I/O bus pinouts...

That looks to be the same as the Adaptec cards power pinout, so I'm guessing it's probably somewhat of a "Standard".

I provided confirmation of the pinout you wanted on Geekhack quite a while ago, by the way.

Is this the WD file for this card? Looks to be captured from the old WD BBS. Mentions the connector, but not the pinout.

That looks right to me! The way I can tell is the "layout" they've shown is the right shape, unlike the ones on TH99.

I have several of these cards that look like this:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-di...L-CORPORATION-Two-MFM-ST506-412-driv-221.html

Are you referring to J4 as the power header? The only drives I have connected to these controllers use the standard power connector from the power supply, not through the ISA bus. The main real issue I have with these cards is the BIOS version. Some will only support 10MB and 20MB capacity drives. If you get a card with the SuperBios, it will support a 40MB drive like the Seagate ST-251. I haven't been able to tell from the label on the BIOS chip if it is a SuperBios or not. Have to go into the low level format utility using debug to find out the version. Would be nice to be able to get the SuperBios binary and burn an EPROM to update the cards I have.

Stason.org, just for the public record, uses a copy of TH99, so when I say TH99 it always includes Stason as well.

Yeah, the model number is right, but the card shape and layout don't match. There's some "extra" PCB on the end of that card that mine doesn't have. See the ASCII drawing in Chuck's link for what mine looks like.

J4 is indeed the power connector, and at the end of the wires that would normally go there is indeed a normal Molex connector. I just wanted to confirm the pinout before I do any freaky experiments.

For what it's worth, my BIOS chip says:
WD
62-000094-032

It is "EPROM" specifically; it has an erasing window that is covered by a piece of plastic or similar that has been glued down in place. It is soldered to the PCB.

I would be using it with a Seagate ST-125 as it is my only MFM drive (the other card I have is RLL, and the other drives I have are RLL, so it just makes sense to put RLL with RLL and MFM with MFM).

Back