• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Building my own PDP computer

Vintman

I'm a fan of computers ever since I was a child and love the look of classic computers from the golden age of processors and with that said I'll be stepping up and constructing my own pdp computer. If anyone here has done this please tell me how your experience was with it.

Hi! My hat is off to you for taking on a seriously challenging project! Please keep us posted.

You might want to consider a Heathkit H-11 either as an alternative or a starting point for design. DEC PDP is not my specialty for sure but it looks like a solid platform.

Thanks and good luck! Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Vintman,

Do you mean designing your own computer, or building one from parts? If the latter, the SBC6120 mentioned above is good if you want to explore the pdp-8 family. Alternatively, if you want to explore the pdp-11 family, you can buy all the bits and pieces to build a q-bus (look it up) pdp-11 off ebay one $10 board at a time. A number of us here have done both.

What is your skill level with electronics? Are you a decent technician?

Lou

The term "PDP" is pretty broad. The PDP-11 range alone spans about 20 years and encompasses many very different machines. Which one you choose to base your project on will likely depend on complexity, so I'd imagine you'd be looking at the earlier end of the spectrum. That said, if you're going for an authentic replica, early systems are very complex due to the number of discrete components used while later systems benefit from increasing levels of integration. Other factors to consider would be your own experience in similar projects and what you intend to do with the finished product.

There are many different ways to build a PDP-like machine, for example:
  • A control panel hooked up to a simulator/emulator running on a small PC or SBC. There are at least a couple of projects on the web which use this approach with original PDP-11/70 front panels. Others have built their own (sometimes very accurate) replicas of various models' control panels.
  • Implement a PDP system in programmable logic, like an FPGA. I know there are existing designs for PDP-8 processors although I'm not sure if these are available for general use. Again, you could hook this up to some kind of control panel, or just leave it at a serial console.
  • Build a system based on an existing LSI-11 chip (basically a PDP-11 processor on one big chip). You may be limited to a serial console here as IIRC not all signals required for a full front panel are accessible from outside the chip.
  • Build a complete processor out of discrete parts. This may sound complicated, but the schematics for most PDP-11 models are available for reference. The PDP-11/34 is, for example, "only" two big boards of chips.

Well, building a PDP-14 should be pretty easy, although not very satisfying (note the complete lack of arithmetic instructions).

What methods do you want to employ? As someone said, there's a kit using the SBC6120 for the 12-bit PDP-8 (whose CPU might even fit in a large CPLD). Do you want to build a PDP-1 from discrete logic and core memory (good luck!)? You can easily fit a PDP-11 architecture in an FPGA--I believe that at least one such implementation already exists.

Thank you lynchaj it's a grueling adventure but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm slowly making my through it, thanks for the support :^)

I'm going too throw my hat into the ring and try and make it compatible, I plan it being a pdp-11 my fav in the series lol, wish me luck.

I'm going too start my journey this weekend into the construction of my pdp project, i'm extremely tired going over notes and design plans and dear god the memory.....well gotta hit the hay, i'll keep you informed and might even video document thisjourney and post it on youtube, will keep you guys posted, peace :^)

My dream is slowly coming along, just working on some final reviews in the design and going over my parts too make sure I got everything. It's a long battle but I know I'm going too make it, peace

So which approach did you decide on in the end? Care to fill us in on any of the major design features?

Back