• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: Southern Cross 1 Vintage Z80 computer User's Manual

maguman21

Hi

I am looking for a copy of the user's manual for the Southern Cross 1 - an old single board Z80 computer.

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual that they would be willing to make available?

maguman21

I got the manual for SC-I from another forum member
a while ago, and it is about 1.4 Meg in size. You can
give me an email and I will send it your way.....

ziloo

Thanks

Thanks

I got the manual for SC-I from another forum member
a while ago, and it is about 1.4 Meg in size. You can
give me an email and I will send it your way.....

ziloo

Thanks - sent you a PM with my email address.

Hi there,

Sorry to revive a slightly old thread but I am also desperately looking for the manual for the SC 1 SBC.

Like maguman21, I found a lot of information on the kit's old website, but the manual itself is no where to be found. I bought a bare PCB for this kit, but it came without the manual unfortunately.

Is there any chance of someone sending me a copy too? :)

Thanks,

Ross..

Send me an email address and I will send you a copy (if I
find my own copy :mrgreen: )

ziloo

I'll PM you my e-mail, thanks!

I am planning to create a website for the Southern Cross SBC with manual, schematics, ROM code etc. Hopefully that will help the other people that are still interested in this kit, it's a shame that it was discontinued.. I feel that it is permissible to do this because the Southern Cross 1 was actually a 'shameless clone' of a much older kit from the 1970s electronics magazine "Talking electronics" (confirmed in usenet by the person who owned Kitsrus). This person has since unfortunately passed away (a number of years ago now), and his wife took over his business. This kit was discontinued, and it will most likely never be available for sale again.

Ross..

Last edited:
You are very welcome and yes I got your memo.
Let us know about your progress and how you are
wearing out that poor manual...!

ziloo :mrgreen:

Hi,
Just found this site. I am trying to assemble a Southern Cross SC I to show a group of electronic students “how it used to be done”. Unfortunately I only have part of a kit to assemble. I am missing the Eprom with the Monitor Program and the manual. I have a blank 27C64 and the SC I circuit diagram. Can anyone help? Even direct me to a site that I can purchase this from. I also wonder if the TEC-1 Monitor program is the same as the Southern Cross Monitor program. I have started to make a PIC simulation of the SC I but it isn’t the same is it? I hope you get the WEB Site going.

Interesting indeed. OK. So that means that the Southern Cross 1 is a copy of the TEC-1. Hmmm. I did not know Peter Crowcroft, but I know Kitsrus is still going here. I was given the bits of the SC 1 by a friend who could not be bothered to build it up when he bought it and then lost half of the components. If it is an illegal copy then there will be no chance. Maybe I need to look at the TEC-1 for what I want to do. Thanks

...... I was given the bits of the SC 1 by a friend who could not be bothered to build it up when he bought it and then lost half of the components. If it is an illegal copy then there will be no chance......

My friend Oceanway2009,

You can send me your e-mail address and I will pass that along to
couple of fellows who have the actual board with all of its components,
and I will ask them to contact you and help you with the SC-I board that
you have.

ziloo

Hi ziloo,

Your help is much appreciated.
Email is Oceanway2009@hotmail.com

I was quite excited to get the kit as it was, but as someone who has had a lot of my designs and work copied, I understand the feelings of the original designer. Anyhow, I would like to use what I have for the purpose of demonstration if I can and will mention that it is a copy of the TEC-1.

Oceanway

Well Oceanway,

I gave your e-mail address to couple of fellows that are
working on this board and hopefully they will contact you...

Hope that helps!

ziloo

Hi Oceanway,

The SC1 is indeed a clone of the TEC-1, but unfortunately this is quite common in the "hobbyist" industry and has been for a very long time.

Even today I see examples of companies cloning others people's products, sometimes selling them for a lower price and thus competing with the original creators.

With the SC1, you should not worry about legalities though as the original kit was released in the 1970s, and the SC1 was around for a long time afterwards and is now a long discontinued product. Therefore no one is really interested in it anymore, from that perspective. I do not remember exactly, but I think Peter Crowcroft might have posted to the aus.electronics newsgroup in the past where he clearly stated that the SC1 was a clone of the TEC-1.

Regarding the monitor program, I think the TEC-1 and SC1 versions may be different. I also think I have a copy of the monitor program if you are interested? Were you able to get a copy of the manual, I can send that to you as well if you haven't already received it from ziloo.

Ross..

Back