• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Don Maslin's library

curtis

Veteran Member
This message was posted on comp.os.cpm.

Dear all, I received a message today from Don's niece, who is still keeping Don's complete stuff in her garage. Here's the message: "Hello Gaby, I am Don and Bristol Maslin's niece and trustee for their estate. After Don died August 28, 2004, I had the good fortune and burden of taking care of Bristol who had moderate dementia at that time, unbeknownst to her family. Caring for her and working full time was more than I could cope with, so Don's computer collection just sat in the garage until recently. Bristol died in Dec. 2009. I am not a computer buff, but I do know that my uncles activities and generosity were very beneficial to people who enjoy vintage computers. The kind things written and posted on the Memorial page gave me the inspiration to contact you. Contrary to my family's suggestions, I have kept all of Don's computer hardware and software and assessories. I moved everything into a storaqge unit last summer so I could get their house ready for renting. I have spoken to several people who were associated with Don's computer activities and shared his passion while trying to determine what I had possession of and what to do with it all. I tried to donate it to a computer museum, but the local one had closed up and the one in Mountain View, CA already had most everything. I would love to make the collection available to anyone who is interested; I am hoping you might be able to give me some suggestions or leads to find homes for everything. At one point, Sellam Ismail came over and helped me photograph and catalogue the most unique pieces, with the intention of auctioning them to targetted special interest groups. But, that never materialized I look forward to hearing from you." I would gladly put anybody in contact with her who is seriously interested in taking over the archive. Please e-mail me at the usual address. Best wishes Gaby

Gaby's email is gaby.chaudry@googlemail.com

Hopefully, there is someone on the West Coast that can help out with this. We NEED to save that archive!

Don was a friend of mine.

While the hardware is interesting, it's the floppy collection that probably has the most value to the vintage community. I'd be surprised if the CHM wasn't interested in that.

Al, Did CHM really turn down the archive?

Hopefully she kept them. I hate to tell you how many times I've run into machines with no software in these situations. "Oh those old disks ?" "There were boxes and boxes of them but, we just tossed them all out"

I'm in the bay area and will grab them for sure. I sent her an email. Hopefully they are still there and we can get them imaged and up on Dave's site so this doesn't happen again. It was a huge loss to the cp/m world.

Long as the stuff gets re-archived it will be a huge benefit to the community and his legacy so best luck to whomever does help. Also if someone does get it and needs help, don't hesitate to ask as I'm sure many skilled hands are available to help.

Don was a friend of mine.

While the hardware is interesting, it's the floppy collection that probably has the most value to the vintage community. I'd be surprised if the CHM wasn't interested in that.

Al, Did CHM really turn down the archive?

I've never heard of the offer.
I have been in contact with Sellam, I thought he had everything.

I've never heard of the offer.
I have been in contact with Sellam, I thought he had everything.

It was most likley made as an offer of hardware. I don't think
she is thinking of the disk collection as being the significant
part of the collecton.
She most likely sent CHM a list of hardware.
Dwight Elvey

Doesn't the CHM have some kind of procedure when people are trying to donate something (and have no clue what it is exactly) to dig out more information?

Al on the cctalk list is chatting about the offer and wasn't aware of the details I don't think. Either way though, I don't usually find things that the CHM end up as publicly available content (although I could be wrong or misunderstanding). Minor annoyance I have with them though, although I'm sure it's probably because of legality and legitimacy. Sellam gets overwhelmed with lots of work (you should see his collection/warehouse .. omfg) but the unfortunate reality is he's a huge asset and has a huge amount of resources but I doubt enough time in the world to accomplish all the things he could even for charitable events.

Back