• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

For the love of God... I want an IBM 5170 manual...

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
They usually come in sets of three books in 3-ring binders that are quite thick and cover the PC AT from case to screw. If anyone has one/them, maybe they could scan them in?

I've been trying to get the books themselves so I could scan them, but whomever I meet who has them asks rediculous (atleast to me) prices. I'll keep trying, though...

:)

What do you consider rediculous prices?

I've seen complete AT manual sets, NIB, on eBay for under $60 which I think is fair (considering condition).

Or are you talking about the Technical Reference manual? Those are a bit more costly. . .

Erik

Well, because I'm an unemployed Canadian, anything over $20 US is stupendous, hehe!

And I'm talking about the referance -and- technical documentation books for the AT, together. I've been told prices between $40 and $100 for the three books from different owers.

Oh well, if I want them bad enough I'll save my money and pay. Which is quite difficult, seeing how I need a math coprocessor now, too.

The trial and tribulations of vintage computer restorations... :)

Slasher dude, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

I bought a PS/2 BIOS reference. That led to buying a 3 volume set called "Technical Reference: Options and Adapters". The outlay was over $100 US, and I was happy to find it - they're rare.

I have the AT Tech ref. Is there something in particular you need? There isn't enough time in my lifetime to scan it, so don't even think about it. :)

While we're on the topic, I'd like to find a PC tech ref and an XT tech ref. I have a PCjr tech ref, and having the set would sure help me on my Jr problems ... (It's nice to see how the 'big' boys did things so that I can tell what's messed up about the Jr.)

Re: For the love of God... I want an IBM 5170 manual...

Super-Slasher said:
They usually come in sets of three books in 3-ring binders that are quite thick and cover the PC AT from case to screw.

Actually there are a lot of manuals. I used to have the PC/XT Hardware TRM, I do have (somewhere) an older DOS TRM which prolly covers up to about 3.00 or so.

I have a working scanner now, so if I could only borrow the books I want.

Maybe I'll try probing around in the city a bit deeper. The PC AT was a most popular system in the mid-to-late 80's, surely there must be a copy of atleast one of the books in my city of 40,000...

Back