• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lookimg for advuce-- decent mechanical keyboard

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Okay, the title doesn't say exactly what I'm after. Let me explain.

Model M's around here are on just about everything, except for my 19" rackmount system. Standard-sized keyboards are too wide.

I've seen some inexpensive gaming keyboards around with "blue switches" (not Cherry). They are about the right size, but how is the feel compared to a good old Model M?

PS/2 or USB doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Can you live without the numeric keypad (or live with a divorced one)?

I've seen industrial keyboards which are genuine Model M and are reduced width, probably intended for rack mount though I usually see them mounted vertically on control panels. The reduced width is achieved by deleting the numeric keypad. There is a matching separate numeric keypad which actually has a duplicate cursor/screen key section.

This is the Model M industrial space saving keyboard:

1395682-001.jpg

Yes, that's precisely the one I've seen (and occasionally had to replace due to normal wear and tear in a very harsh environment). Thanks for finding it.

Yes, that'd be fine, but the prices for used model Ms are too high to justify the application--the keyboard freaks have hit the market. I can remember when they were given away free used and that you could buy new surplus ones in the box for about $20 from Surplus Software in Portland (alas, long gone).

Right now, I've got a Compaq keyboard on my system and it's terrible for a Model M typist.

I used to have a source for those, new, or probably NOS, from an industrial supplier. They charged somewhere between $100 and $200. I might be able to dig through some stuff and find it if you like.

If it's not too much trouble. In the meantime, I'm going to goof around with that $10 IBM iPoint keyboard and an ATMega IR-to-PS/2 converter that I discovered. The IBM keyboard is rubber-dome, but not as bad as the Compaq--and it's very compact.

It was only a matter of time before good keyboards jumped in value to match the machines they were made for.

Looking at an old Industrial Computer Source magazine (1991 edition 1) they have a decent looking compact keyboard IBM PC/XT/AT compatible model KB3/A ($99 at that time). No idea who makes it and if that model # is generic or brand name.

Back