• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Documentation request for disks accompanying book: PC System Programming

clh333

Veteran Member
Regulars here will not be shocked to learn that I am not the most knowledgeable PC enthusiast but I continue to learn: thanks again to contributors here! I read a lot and one book I am reading now is helping my understanding greatly. The book is PC System Programming by Michael Tischer. Published in English by Abacus (Grand Rapids, MI, 1990), the original text was published in Germany by Data Becker. My copy of the book is composed of more than 900 pages.

The book explains on a detailed, BIOS-call and microprocessor register level how PC hardware is accessed by the operating system and / or the PC BIOS. As a result I finally understand the difference between expanded and extended memory, which type is intended for use in what situation, and where the AT stores its configuration data and how to access it.

The author includes several programs illustrating his topics, which are coded in assembly, c, Pascal and / or BASIC, and the book that I have originally contained these sample programs on disk as an enclosure. Abacus and Data Becker are no more, alas, and my book, purchased from Amazon for $3 plus shipping, did not include the disks.

So I would like to ask if anyone happens to have this material or knows where it can be located. I have located a PDF of the book and could OCR the PDFs but thought it would be prudent to ask first.

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

Sry, can't help you but I kinda liked your description of the books so I ordered one. If it includes the disc I'll let you know.

I have the 4th edition in French that came with a CD, I can dump it if anyone's interested.

While I was on the oldskool FTP server I also grabbed the files for Tom Swan's Mastering Turbo Assembler, another second-hand book acquired sans disk.

Thanks again.

-CH-

Back