• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Mattel Intellivision Article on Gamasutra

Bill_Loguidice

Veteran Member
Gamasutra has just posted the fifth of six entries from me and Matt Barton in the "A History of Gaming Platforms" series, this time on the Mattel Intellivision, here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3653/a_history_of_gaming_platforms_.php . This was one of my favorite entries to write in the book this series is based off of, so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did writing it. As a bonus, I've included on Armchair Arcade the additional captions and images that Gamasutra chose not to include (I think I again improved image quality - by the way, those screenshots are DIRECT video captures straight from an Intellivision II, NOT from an emulator, and everything else of course is also straight from my personal collection). The next and presumably final entry will be on the Atari 8-bit. Enjoy and I'd love to hear some feedback, as I think it ranks right up there with the best overall articles ever written on platform (said with all due modesty and respect, of course ;-) ).

The unused images and all the captions (used and unused): http://armchairarcade.com/neo/node/1842

I love AVGN's video review of the Intellivision, but the extra depth here is much appreciated. :)

Great article as always from Bill -- very interesting reading and fantastic pics to go along with it. Looking forward to when the book comes out !!

John

Great article as always from Bill -- very interesting reading and fantastic pics to go along with it. Looking forward to when the book comes out !!

John

Sadly, this round of shopping it has been a tougher sell. The videogame book market has changed a lot since the book originally got a top publisher 3 or so years back. There's still one publisher left considering it, but right now it looks like a long shot. One publisher actually counter-offered with an idea for a different book, so it's quite possible that one or two OTHER books will come out before this one. It's frustrating, as I know this particular book would all but trump all that came before it on this type of topic, but the market realities are what they are.

heh. My sister still has our Intellivision, along with the 50-something games. We used to love playing Utopia. (I was always the left island, she was always the right.)

P.S. Very nice article! (I love the original commercial on your other page, "keyboard component coming in the Summer".. heh...

Last edited:
As a side note, I was given a loose Intellivision and a handful of loose games a few weeks ago to repay some expenses. I haven't even turned it on yet. :oops: On the other hand, more and more of my systems suffer from the non-use.

Back