• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"vintage" consoles etc.

2icebitn

Banned
for the purpose of this thread, anything prior to the original X-box or Sony Playstation 2.

Please discuss nerds. I'm on a bit of a ------------- console kick right now (not going to say so as not to influence conversation, and don't count the dashes, they're randomly inserted). I also don't want people rushing out to buy it, just bought my first one (I've acquired them in the past, but threw them out O8), may need more of a stockpile. I'm not really a huge gamer by any stretch, I'm more of a tinkerer. I'm a bit intrigued by the prospect of turning certain consoles into a general purpose computer.

My favorite console is the PC-Engine (TurboGrafx-16 in the US but I have the Japanese version because it was a hell of a lot cheaper). I'm currently making a PC-Engine inspired shoot em up game.

It would be awful nice if you filled us in on all that, perhaps even blogged on it. OK I'll give it up, I've become a Sega Genesis fan as it uses a 68000. I'm interested in digging into it's innards, haven't even began looking for docs, if any exist on the net.

I had a friend with a TG years ago. I was pretty good at beating games. I was playing 1, and I finished a level that he couldn't beat, but died that instant, and he was looking on and wouldn't let me stop playing until I got to the next level without dying! Didn't take long fortunately. Can't remember which game it was.

I have a Sega Nomad. I only have one game that I like to play on it and I haven't touched it in well over twenty years. But it's the slickest machine because it's a fully contained battery powered handheld and full blown console all in one. Plug it into a TV and plug in a standard controller and you have a real Sega Genesis.

I don't collect consoles actively as I really don't need any more expensive hobbies, but I sort of count my Videobrain as a console. And if not certainly my Intellivision. I would love to have the keyboard component for that. But again... too much money. Intellivision was the first game console I was ever introduced to.. a friend had it. Still play LockNChase and Night Stalker from time to time. Still haven't made it to the invisible robot on the latter yet. Such a brilliantly simple but engrossing game, with the classic format of beating a bad guy just so you can experience the next bad guy.

i have a 2600, my original NES, my original SNES, Genesis G2(think my original G1 was stolen) ORiginal gameboy (wife got it at a tagsale for $5.00) I traded mine orignal into funcoland in the 90's with all my games for some quick cash. I have since bought most of them back. I have a 2DS (bought it to play the new zelda)... I have two retron 3's. and a steam controller for playing some games on the TV.. Had a gamegear (same tag sale) had a bad audio capacitor, fixed it and sold it... the screen is pretty terrible by todays standard.
And thats it.
Always been a PC gamer, after the SNES, I lost complete interest in consoles except for the gameboy franchise.

I built the PiGrrl 1 when it came out, still have it.. added a speaker in fact. Need to reload it with a better OS at some point.

I've been into vintage consoles for a long time, ever since I got our neighbor's Atari 2600 as a hand-me-down in junior high. Currently have that, a NES/SNES combo clone (plus a genuine SNES for the few titles it's not compatible with and an AV Famicom for the good version of Castlevania III,) a Genesis/Sega CD/32X setup, a Saturn, a PSX, a Nintendo 64, and a Dreamcast, plus games for all the above. Never did get into the PC-Engine/Turbografx in real hardware, because that was already sought-after and outside my meagre means by the time I got into the field, but it would be fun...

Anyway, if you do want to dabble with Genesis homebrew, the simplest approach is to get yourself a Sega CD, which gives you an additional 512KB RAM and a second, slightly faster 68k to play with, plus wavetable and Redbook audio and the biggest improvement of all, dirt-cheap mass storage with no flashcart required :)

Though if you want to turn it into a general-purpose computer, you're either going to have to rig up some kind of keyboard adapter or seek out one of the rare keyboard peripherals for it...

commodorejohn;524754 (plus a genuine SNES for the few titles it's not compatible with and an AV Famicom for the good version of [i said:
Castlevania III[/i],)

I thought the famicom version of that game had better music but was much to easy compared to the US release.

The difficulty curve in the U.S. version is all kinds of weird because they changed it so that all enemies/attacks do the same amount of damage, but that amount increases the further you progress through the game. So the early stages are actually easier (well, aside from the inevitable Castlevania perils like the flying enemies that always manage to knock you into a pit,) but the later stages are hair-pullingly insane. As for me, I'll take the version that the original designers actually intended, which is a bit more reasonable.

I like the original consoles like the Atari 2600, 5200 and Colecovision. I skipped the NES era and then got into the Original Playstation, XBOX, and Sega Dreamcast where I stopped.

did somebody say vintage consoles? All these guys are either modded for RGB or HDMI if they didnt already support it. fyi, the dreamcast is on my bench being recapped.

I started tinkering with vintage computers once I got all the consoles i really wanted.

IMG_2588.jpgIMG_2589.jpg

This is my jam. 386082_2891454168117_448083828_n.jpg

Other than some oddball stuff like an Odyssey 1 and Channel F, I think I am done. I have started moving on to CIB stuff.

I usually use Everdrive or other flash type storage devices.

Only so much space in the house!

I'm forever joined at the hip to the Atari Jaguar. Learning how to program on it using something called Rb+ with BCX C compiler behind the scenes makes it interesting to play with and I've always wanted to program something for it. Crazy powerful but bugged RISC chips with a paltry 2MB of RAM and 4MB of cart space leaves little to be desired but there's an upcoming SD card option that will begin to make it a little more interesting in regards to massive amounts of storage space available to play with despite having such limited RAM.

This is my jam. View attachment 47008

Other than some oddball stuff like an Odyssey 1 and Channel F, I think I am done. I have started moving on to CIB stuff.

The Gamecube interests me. I have to limit myself for the time being. Loads of stuff to move still. Haven't even plugged my "new" Genesis in yet, as I don't have a 10v brick (I think that's what it needs). All I recall is certain USR modems using 10vdc, people used 9 - 9.5 vdc. Or was it the other way around? I really need a general purpose lab power supply. But I have to slow down.

I'm forever joined at the hip to the Atari Jaguar. Learning how to program on it using something called Rb+ with BCX C compiler behind the scenes makes it interesting to play with and I've always wanted to program something for it. Crazy powerful but bugged RISC chips with a paltry 2MB of RAM and 4MB of cart space leaves little to be desired but there's an upcoming SD card option that will begin to make it a little more interesting in regards to massive amounts of storage space available to play with despite having such limited RAM.

this is the first time I've even googled the Jag. The 2 risc processors are for graphics and sound? Just a guess.

This is my jam. View attachment 47008

Nice setup, and respect on the CRT. I’m finding that trying to run mine to an LCD is more trouble than it’s worth. I spend more time tinkering with settings than playing games.

I pretty much run everything off “everdrives” as well, but I still collect games because I can’t help myself.

Also, I keep my model of the Enterprise on top of my Tandy SX’s monitor.

Nice setup, and respect on the CRT. I’m finding that trying to run mine to an LCD is more trouble than it’s worth. I spend more time tinkering with settings than playing games.

I pretty much run everything off “everdrives” as well, but I still collect games because I can’t help myself.

Also, I keep my model of the Enterprise on top of my Tandy SX’s monitor.

Thanks. I've since 'expanded' a bit and moved to the basement and that's in progress.

I find it's easier to deal with the bulky TV vs trying to get old consoles to look right on modern screens.

I really only 'collect' pre NES cartridges and games.. and CIB Pre Windows 95 IBM PC games/software.

Space becomes a premium item REALLY fast.

Scammed a Nintendo 64 setup at the thrift store. Total bill -7$!! Also an old Magellan gps, 8$. And last but not least Photos hop Elements W2K/XP era, 3$. Some haul ay? 3 of the 4 games work. Mission Impossible is the culprit, but the carts and/or console might need a cleaning. I have to hit that place more often.

Back