• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Last PC game to be released as a booter?

MissArgent

Veteran Member
So, I'm going over interesting games to run on my CGA-equipped 5150 (particularly earlier, booter-type games) and I got to thinking - anyone know for sure what the last game to be released as a booter was? From the sources I have available, it looks like that might have been Satan (1990) by Dinamic Software but I doubt that's it since my listing probably isn't complete.

It would be difficult to say with certainty that any game would be the last, unless of course someone has produced one recently.

I guess I meant more "The last PC Booter game released when PC booter games were the norm", more than anything.

unless of course someone has produced one recently.
Yes.. you called? :p

Self-plug aside, Mobygames' Game Browser can help out here, with its filter-by-year option at the top: http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/pc-booter/
Of course, that includes the homebrew stuff from recent years as well, which is mostly of the tiny boot-sector-only kind. But it seems like Satan is indeed the most recent documented commercial booter release... unless you count the 1992 re-release of Game Over II.

I was thinking it would've been something Spanish, because the booter format seems to have been popular there. I know there are at least a few Spanish PC games not documented on MG (yet), so there may be something else that came slightly later.

Oh man, VileR! I love your blog - it's actually sorta what got me on my booter kick, particularly since I'm getting a 5150 at Midwest. Anyways, I think "Last commercial release" would be a better way of articulating what I meant - and right now Game Over II sounds like the closest candidate. It's hard to say, though, with so much undumped and undocumented.

Ha, awesome. :) BTW, booter games can get mislabeled as DOS ones (a few on Moby still are)... since a lot of them were pirated as DOS conversions/loaders, so most people simply ran them from DOS. Some relatively late ones might exist without anyone being aware they were originally booters.

I wouldn't, since the re-release was most likely a DOS conversion. I've seen this before; Karnov was originally a booter, but a later "Data East" compilation including it (and other DOS Data East games such as Heavy Barrel) put all the games on a CDROM, where Karnov was recompiled to be a traditional DOS release. (Archival collections, luckily, have up to three versions: The original booter images, a cracked version from the original booter, and the CDROM re-release which has a README.BAT file stating it as such).

I have a few of pc-booter games that it Not introduced on MobyGames.

yeah, that's super useful.

instead of using this opportunity to simply brag about what you have, how about sharing this information with the world, so that we can better define the problem and answer the question?

I have a few of pc-booter games that it Not introduced on MobyGames.

yeah, that's super useful.

instead of using this opportunity to simply brag about what you have, how about sharing this information with the world, so that we can better define the problem and answer the question?
At least you were able to decipher his cryptic reply. :)

Hello boys ! , come to this post from google looking for some booter games, I'm a former contributor to Retrograde Station, my name is Thierry

http://web.archive.org/web/20080814220145/http://retrograde.trustno1.org:80/index2.htm

There is the last snapshot of the page, I could collaborate with some games, I have several that are not cataloged, the images are made with Eplcopy, Copy II PC + Snatchit and some others (Teledisk), it's a good idea to have everything on one page as it was the page of Retrograde Station, I know it is copyrighted material but they warn me to be able to re-collaborate with some titles that are not anywhere, we could look for a place where to have those releases and that will last in time, I could download all the content of Retrograde Station in its day.

best greetings

Thierry

Narco Police , 2 diskette version 360k Booter

8QFZTlg.png

Livingstone Supongo 2 , Working 2nd Part EGA VGA CGA , booter

Angel Nieto Pole 500 booter

Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja , booter

i think a some releases i dont remember now

Of the games you listed, they had these release dates/years as booters on the PC:

Narco Police: 1989
Livingstone Supongo 2: 1989
Angel Nieto Pole 500: Not a booter
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja: 1988

Resurrecting Retrograde Station is on my (very long) to-do list.

Of the games you listed, they had these release dates/years as booters on the PC:

Narco Police: 1989
Livingstone Supongo 2: 1989
Angel Nieto Pole 500: Not a booter
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja: 1988

Resurrecting Retrograde Station is on my (very long) to-do list.

Angel Nieto Pole 500 its BOOTER , I think they have bad information, it's a Booter game, the directory can not be read, only Booting loads

Back