• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Nerd Playing Old PC Games

oldnerd

​Hi there gamers!

I am Old Nerd & my plan is to beat every game i remember from 20-30 years ago

πŸ”₯ πƒπ€πˆπ‹π˜ π‚πŽππ“π„ππ“ 𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐒 πŸ”₯ π‡πˆπ†π‡ ππ”π€π‹πˆπ“π˜ π•πˆπƒπ„πŽπ’ πŸ”₯

πŸ“ƒ Gaming plan πŸ“ƒ

Age of Empires (1,2,3) ◼️ Age of Mythology ◼️ Aladdin ◼️ Blood (1,2) ◼️ BloodRayne (1,2) ◼️ Baldur's Gate 2 ◼️ Carmageddon (1,2) ◼️ Civilization (1,2,3,4,5) ◼️ Commandos (Behind Enemy Lines. Beyond Call of Duty) ◼️ Command & Conquer (whole pc series) ◼️ Dink Smallwood ◼️ Doom 3 ◼️ Diablo 2 ◼️ Duke Nukem (1,2,3D) ◼️ Dungeon Master ◼️ Dyna Blaster ◼️ Earthworm Jim ◼️ Elder Scrolls (1,2,3,4) ◼️ Fallout (1,2,3,New Vegas) ◼️ FIFA (old series) ◼️ FlatOut (1,2,Ultimate Carnage) ◼️ Golden Axe ◼️ Gothic (1,2,3) ◼️ Grand Theft Auto (1,London,2,3,Vice City,San Andreas) ◼️ Half-Life (1,2) ◼️ Heretic ◼️ Heroes of Might and Magic (2,3,4) ◼️ Hexen ◼️ House of the Dead ◼️ Icewind Dale (1,2) ◼️ Ignition ◼️ Jazz Jackrabbit (1,2) ◼️ Lemmings ◼️ Lion King ◼️ Might and Magic (4,5,6,7,8) ◼️ Mortal Kombat (1,2,3,4) ◼️ Need For Speed (1,2SE,Underground 2, Most Wanted 2005, Carbon) ◼️ NHL (old series) ◼️ One Must Fall ◼️ Postal (2) ◼️ Prehistorik (1,2) ◼️ Prince of Persia (1,2,The Sands of Time, Warrior Within) ◼️ Road Rash ◼️ Roller Coaster Tycoon (1,2,3) ◼️ Serious Sam ◼️ Shadow Warrior ◼️ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1,2) ◼️ Supaplex ◼️ The Settlers (1,2,3,4) ◼️ The Guild 2 ◼️ Theme Hospital ◼️ Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1,2,American Wasteland) ◼️ Total Annihilation ◼️ Transport Tycoon (OpenTTD) ◼️ Transport Giant ◼️ Tyrian 2000 ◼️ Warcraft (1,2,3) ◼️ Worms (1,2,Armageddon,World Party)

πŸ‘ You can support my channel by subscribe, like or comment. Thank you πŸ‘

https://www.youtube.com/OldNerdPlayingOldPCGames
​

My newest games would be 90s based, such as Doom. The vast majority are from the 1980s. Games that have some kind of reliance on the internet are not part of my collection.

Your not that old if all the games are 90's based.... YoungNerd perhaps....

That was my thought too. Some of these go well into the 00's.

Maybe he is an old nerd, but we're just really old nerds?

I consider old games to have a cutoff at right around 2000, with the prime years/best games being around '85 to the mid 90's. Quake 1 may be the peak IMO.

I remember playing Chess 3.0 on the operator's console of a CDC 6600 back in the day. That's the same Slater/Atkins/Gorlen program that won the first four years of the ACM NACCC. Pity that they used the slower 6400 and didn't have ready access to the much faster 6600. It wasn't until 1979 that they got access to a Cyber 176 (CDC 7600) and won that one again.

What does that make me? :)

The NACCC log says that Chess 3.0 was written in COMPASS (assembly language). That's only partially true--there's a lot of FORTRAN code there too. I ran it under our special version of SCOPE 3.1.6. It used the "T" display (user requested left CRT) on the DD60. I recall that it took a bit of tweaking to run on our system.

Some time around 1975-76, a friend who was a CE for DEC gave me a PDP10 tape that was circulating around for a game called "Adventure". el tables. Took a bit of doing to get it running--in addition to being TOPS-10 specific, it was an odd tape where 5 characters were packed into a 36-bit word, with 9 bytes representing 2 PDP10 words on a 9 track tape. After reading, the next job was convert the stuff to CDC 6-bit Display Code, then rework the FORTRAN. TOPS-10 had a facility where a program could be stopped, saved to disk and then restarted. That wasn't possible under SCOPE, so the job was to save all of the relevant data and then re-initialize variables with it upon resumption to get the same functionality. The game made it around the company like lightning with COMSOURCE management grinding through employee permanent files and deleting it wherever it was found. If management ever discovered that I released that plague, I probably would have been fired. Then, I'd have had to cross the street and try to get a job at the nascent Atari...

The sins of youth...

Last edited:
Talking of Atari, I do remember playing an original Pong machine at a county fare, it s cabinet was mounted in a truck and free to play (one game only then queue again)

Can't remember the year but it must have been around 74 ?

Talking of Atari, I do remember playing an original Pong machine at a county fare, it s cabinet was mounted in a truck and free to play (one game only then queue again)

That would have been a good photo to take of you playing at the time.

That would have been a good photo to take of you playing at the time.

If only.

My memories are dim about it, but I was fascinated.

I also remember playing all the electromechanical games, especially Periscope which was a lightbulb below a fiberglass seascape with little models of ships going past on a belt.

If only.

My memories are dim about it, but I was fascinated.

I also remember playing all the electromechanical games, especially Periscope which was a lightbulb below a fiberglass seascape with little models of ships going past on a belt.

There was this one that a close neighborhood bud had (50's). I think it was called "Photoelectric Football". It was a box that had a small bulb and the top was a football grid. The was a set of offensive and defensive cards which were inserted after the "huddle" and the offense "team" would slowly pull the card out and a "light" trial would reveal where the offensive player was running or passing. If the light trail hit a big black spot *defense) then that was end of the play. This was sort of a rainy day thing. That's all I can recall about it as that was about 70 years ago.

Last edited:

I recall seeing early (plywood-housed) Pong at Andy Capp's in Sunnyvale. When it came out it was popular. At about that time, another wildly popular game showed up there called "Gran Trak". Plywood cabinet with a steering wheel and gearshift--black and white video. One member of our department spent hours after work playing it. Interestingly, after his divorce, he purchased a Pantera and took a transfer down to Texas (he also bought an early Pulsar wristwatch. Evidently his ex came from old money.) On the way down, he managed to wrap said Pantera around a utility pole. His insurance paid up and then tore up the policy.

I mostly remember Capp's because they had a great selection of soups for lunch.

I remember Chuck E. Cheeses arcades from the early 1980s. They were so fantastic. Nothing like that mc donald's Ball pit with the same name they still have today.... I tell younger people about it and they dont believe me.. Man that place was magical. You know my mother gave me a sack of coins she was collecting 15 years ago.. Inside I found two of the old tokens from Chuck e Cheeses from when I was younger.. He looks like a Giant Rat! Ah good times.

Talking about vintage games.

Fired up the beeb yesterday (finally managed to get a case that can take a 51/4 floppy and the Gotek in one and played Thrust

Fantastic fun and I remember it being hailed at the time because of its 'realistic' physics of mass, acceleration and inertia :)

Only could get to level 5 though

Back