• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Planet X3, Hercules support on 360K disk?

austinramsay

Hey guys,

I discovered the Planet X3 game developed by The 8-Bit Guy but was a little unclear if it supports Hercules on the 360K disk. I noticed that the website does list Hercules as supported, but I know that they had to remove some maps to fit the game on the 360K disk so was not sure if they had the space to support Hercules or not on that disk specifically. Anyone know if it's compatible?

Thanks,
Austin

I never saw any mention of Hercules being explicitly supported when 8bitguy was making videos on creating the game. If HGC cards are supported, it's likely that the game defaults to CGA graphics since the HGC can emulate CGA modes, just without color.

The official release does not have Hercules support, but running SIMCGA or UNICGA is fine with the game since the game doesn't demand a lot of speed. If you do this, pick the CGA 640x200 black&white mode to get graphics optimized for that.

@austinramsay

1) Original Release with 5.25" 360KB media (Original Media)
--> Supported mode : CGA / CGA Composite / PCjr / Tandy 1000
--> Wth SIMCGA, this game run on Hercules mode.

2) Later Release with 5.25" 360KB media (Diginal Download)
--> Support mode : CGA / CGA Composite / Hercules / PCjr / Tandy 1000 / Prantronics 16 color

3) Original Release with 3.5" 720KB media (Original Media)
--> Supported mode : CGA / CGA Composite / PCjr / Tandy 1000
--> Wth SIMCGA, this game run on Hercules mode.

4) Later Release with 3.5" 360KB media (Diginal Download)
--> Support mode : CGA / CGA Composite / Hercules / PCjr / Tandy 1000 / Prantronics 16 color

*EGA / VGA mode doesn't support on both 5.25" 360KB and 3.5" 720KB media. (Both Physical and DIgital)
-->It needs driver from official home page.
http://www.the8bitguy.com/4032/where-is-planet-x3/

Back