• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Post a bizzare character portrait from an obscure computer game

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
I thought I'd try something just for fun and start this thread. I'd like to see it go for a long time.

You don't necessarily have to tell who the character is and from where immediately. You can give people a couple days to try to guess.

Here is my (first) character.
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-08 203621.png Views:	1 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	1069241
Leona Humpford, from The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

Last edited:
I wish I could figure out how to squish character portraits into the 12 kB. or whatever allowed for forum avatars here. :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-10 230416.png Views:	1 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	1040855
Detective John Bow, The Colonel's Bequest.

Last edited:
USbNLtw.png

zJuywEe.png

Arm Wrestling (Nintendo Co., 1985, Arcade)
*Scaling artifacts original to the game

lilith.png

This is Lilith.....and this is what is wandering around your screen on an ETH Lilith Modula-2 computer if left alone too long !

Jos

The dreaded "Oops!" dialog window from any given SCI Sierra game, but here from Conquests of Camelot. Upon you seeing this spontaneously appear when you had done nothing out of the ordinary, the game would wait for you to click or hit Enter, then dump you back to DOS. No warning, no chance to save your game. :cry:
Oops - Screenshot 2021-05-05 210705.jpg

That reminds me, at one time I had created a small program to view all of the face graphics of characters one could talk to in Ultima Underworld 2. Interestingly, there was a graphic of a rat, although I had played through that game a lot and never encountered such a character. There were other odd creatures the player could "talk" to. Perhaps just something I missed, but perhaps an extra graphic or Easter egg? Never did figure it out.

uwrat.png

My only guess is Mystery House, but given that dinosaur, I highly doubt I'm right.

Here's a screenshot from Orion Burger (1996) developed by Sanctuary Woods and published by Eidos Interactive for the IBM-PC and Macintosh. Released only in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. Included voice acting by professional voice actors!

I've never heard of this until now, but now I am very intrigued! This reviewer says, a tragically overlooked game that manages to get everything right. It tells the story of Wilbur Wafflemeier, a young man randomly selected to test whether human beings are intelligent life. If he fails the tests, humanity will be harvested and turned into fast food Orion Burgers by an evil intergalactic conglomerate." He compares the animation and feel of the game to the highly praised animated feature The Iron Giant.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/orion-burger/

orion-17.jpg

Tentro, an NPC from the adventure game Altered Destiny (1990) by Accolade. One Friday afternoon, the player character P.J. Barrett gets the wrong TV from the repair shop, and gets sucked into another dimension where he has to save their planet. It feels very reminiscent of Space Quest, but in a good way.

tentro.jpg

My only guess is Mystery House, but given that dinosaur, I highly doubt I'm right.

good guess! it’s from “History Mystery” for the Apple IIe. It came with an educational magazine from Scholastic called Microzine. This particular issue also came with a simple spreadsheet program and some activities to teach kids how to use spreadsheets. My school had an Apple lab donated by Apple and a subscription to this magazine. Pretty cool for 1986 huh?

Attachments

• photo61623.jpg
    photo61623.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 2

Here's a screenshot from Orion Burger (1996) developed by Sanctuary Woods and published by Eidos Interactive for the IBM-PC and Macintosh. Released only in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. Included voice acting by professional voice actors!

I've never heard of this until now, but now I am very intrigued! This reviewer says, a tragically overlooked game that manages to get everything right. It tells the story of Wilbur Wafflemeier, a young man randomly selected to test whether human beings are intelligent life. If he fails the tests, humanity will be harvested and turned into fast food Orion Burgers by an evil intergalactic conglomerate." He compares the animation and feel of the game to the highly praised animated feature The Iron Giant.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/orion-burger/

When I saw your screenshot it looked very familiar to me. There is a little diner called "Nifty Fiftys" in Port Townsend, WA that could be its real life double.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/momalw...est/5781943261

Last edited:
Back