• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

When Cars and Computers Collide....

creepingnet

Veteran Member
Just showing off some work when I recapped my 93' Ford's EEC-IV computer over the weekend. Transferable Skills.

Attachments

• eec45.jpg
    eec45.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1
  • eec44.jpg
    eec44.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
  • eec46.jpg
    eec46.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1
  • eec43.jpg
    eec43.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo61762.jpg
    photo61762.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1
Nice one.

I am dreading the day my Motronic in the 911 starts to play up, but as you say, transferable skills (I hope) :)

I recapped the ECU on my 92 F150 late last year. In yours, I don't see the 63v 10µF cap that blew its guts all over the PCB that I had to replace. Said F150 uses the 5.0L EFI engine--the ECU can't be that different in the space of a year. Initially, I put a large 10µF 100V film cap in, but thought better of it and just used a 200V 10 µF quality electrolytic. Not that the film cap wouldn't have worked, but it's much more massive than the electrolytic and my fear was that too many rough roads might lead to circuit board damage.

The worst part of the job was getting the ECU out of the firewall. You have to remove, or at last partially detach the wheel well shroud and then be double-jointed to squeeze a socket wrench in to free the clamping bracket. Fortunately, I have a battery-powered ratchet that made easier work of the job. That thing was a lifesaver; it made replacing the TPS a lot easier as well.

Yes - cars and trucks. Yesterday I got my Camaro back from the shop. An electrical voltage booster was installed on the fuel pump system. It still needs a dyno tune to max thinks out. Without the pump booster, the RPM was maxed at 6300 and RWHP was about 550 along with the torque curve. When the tune is complete we're hoping for about 600 RWHP which equates to a little over 700 HP under the hood. Only thing left to do is change the Brembo brake pads out to the newer 'dustless' type.

Chuck(G) - Mine's a 93' Explorer Sport. The 10uf cap was the second worst, the worst was the 47uf next to the CPU which ate away about 90% of a trace to a resistance of 12.8ohms The other 47uf near the connector was corroded but had not started leaking much yet thankfully. I Replaced all three with Jamecon caps I had laying around from my guitar/vintage computer projects. I'm lucky, the Explorer has it behind the passenger side kick panel, everything behind there looks brand new despite being 27 years old. All my caps were 16v, I put in 25v caps as replacements as that's what I had on hand.

Back