• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Crazy Idea - the Glass NEC Versa.......

creepingnet

Veteran Member
So while working on the truck I remembered sniffing the motherboard and smelling that wacko "butter shellfish" smell when I pulled it out - and I have something else that smells like that - an NEC Ultralite Versa 25C motherboard that's got a rusty (now removed) oscillator and possibly bad electrolytic caps in the power section......do you see where were going with this?

But that's not my only choice - I also have a NEC Versa M/75 board that works perfectly but needs a graphics controller board/chip.......and I did look up the datasheets for the Crystal Semiconductor CS4231 chips - including a pin compatible variant called the CS4231A that has some form of FM capabilities on-board (!!).

So I'd been watching Bithead1000 - yeah yeah, I know, he's a bit, uh, not-PC - but he's funny as heck. Anyway, he's been building all these consoles out of Acrylic....so that has me thinking, why not build a "Glass" NEC Versa laptop out of some leftover parts - I may even have a fully workable screen available out of my pile of boards and wires and whatnot that I can piece together. This also would allow me to relocate some components, graft in some unusual features, and build a case that can actually take some fairly heavy abuse without crumbling like a dry cookie. Maybe even toss in a trackpad instead of the Versa Trac, or even wire in a PS/2 Trackball on the Ultralite where the PS/2 port I never use is - or wire in a BMC and a set of Lithium Ion cells for 8hrs battery life standard? Gotek? I mean the skies the limit. An M/75TC with a trackpad that's dockable like my other M/75 - KILLER! Replace the entire HDD setup with a CF to IDE adapter with it's own externally accessable slot.....

Maybe I'll never do this, but it's a cool idea nonetheless. It's also a cool idea for a lot of those busted up old Laptops on e-bay that have such severe case damage repairing the case is out of the question, but replacing the case with something neato is a viable option.

Sometimes I think my mind is an endless fountain of ideas.

See through plastic for a laptop that gets dragged around is probably not a good idea. NEC Versa's also suffer from melting rubber feet which is a pain to clean up.

On the other hand, clear acrylic cases to show off the innards of early PCs was pretty common. Also, if you were working up the tooling for a case, quite often the master was done in acrylic--it machines easily, is relatively stable and can easily be stuck together using solvent cement. I remember Don in our model shop up to his ankles in white shavings as he worked on getting the big-radius case curves done on the Bridgeport.

Chuck you need to write a book about your history in the computing field, seems like you were in some interesting areas for a long time.

Chuck(G) - The clear acrylic thing I'm not stranger to either. I used to build guitar scratchplates out of the stuff because I had neighbors in Alabama who did everything from toss out chunks on the street curb to throw it out the window of their car on the roadside - so I could get it for free and reclaim it.

Another idea I had would be to be to take the original chassis and make silicone molds of the original parts, and then mold new cases out of Alumilite - which is a plastic people use for making reproduction car parts like intake tubes, vacuum trees, and so on, very durable. I already have a working M/75 so I'd just build molds off that for the M/75 chassis - and then mold them. Could totally reproduce the originals with gray pigment, or make some pretty wild colors or even reproduce the AT&T variant.

We used the acrylic masters to make molds for high-density foam cases. Since they had to be painted (the natural color is yellow-brown like a root beer float), after 45 years or so, the cases still look good--no problems with plastic yellowing.

Back