Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Announcing New VDM-1 Reproduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Originally posted by physicsrob View Post

BTW, What is the specific scrolling behavior you see? I've debugged quite a few problems so I might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Hi,

When I have the SOL running again, I will re-fit the VDM-1 card and document what happens. As I recall it worked fine, except that the scrolling was abnormal, otherwise the output from the VDM-1 mirrored what was seen from the video output of the Sol. But of course a VDM-1 was never intended to be run in the Sol, so I had thought it was some sort of bus incompatibility issue or conflict between the two systems trying to run concurrently. The only reason I put the VDM-1 into the Sol, was to check if the board worked. The Sol is the only S-100 bus computer that I own to try the card in.

Leave a comment:

• physicsrob
    replied
    Hi Hugo,

Sorry for the late reply. I need to follow this thread more closely!
    Can you explain this remark in more detail, since the original board must have had a functional scroll ? did they all have an issue or just some pcb versions ?
    > The blanking circuit for the scrolling functionality needs to be connected to the inverted output of a flip-flop rather than the non-inverted output.
    When replicating the revision E schematic I encountered a few problems, some of them were bugs I introduced, but after ironing out every bug I introduced there were still problems with the board. As best as I can reconstruct these bugs reflected genuine mistakes in the schematic. For instance the xtal oscillator frequency was changed between revisions, but the schematic did not reflect the correct divisor for the new xtal (to be specific -- part of the divisor had changed, but part hadn't). The only logical conclusion is that Processor Tech didn't always do the best job at keeping the schematic and PCB in perfect sync.

I very much doubt that any of the problems I came across were actual problems with the PCB, they were probably just problems with the documentation.

As to your precise question, this is what I said to Lee Felsenstein:
    The scroll circuit blanking is inverted. Specifically the lines which control when IC26 and 27 count changed fairly significantly between revisions. There's a flip flop (IC13) which changes state when the first line of text is to be drawn. The blanking from this flip flop was inverted. Easily fixed.
    And this is the relevant portion of his reply:
    I had forgotten that the schematic had evolved a little bit - I now recall an emergency wire fix we had to provide for the first revision of boards - IIRC it involved creating a latch circuit out of two gates for come kind special blanking condition - that was probably what you found.
    Sorry I don't have a more clear response!

BTW, What is the specific scrolling behavior you see? I've debugged quite a few problems so I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• glitch
    replied
    Nice work! Sounds like you solved most of the basic issues with this card! Just submitted my order
    Last edited by glitch; September 14, 2021, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    That ribbon cable is not an issue, if it simply gets replaces with the usual small diameter IC wire wrap style wire. In my VDM-1 I threaded these wires under the long axis of the central 6 IC's on the lower edge of the board near the connector, so they are out of the way, held down to the board surface by the IC bodies, and barely even noticeable. But a board without these would be better. When I replicated the Dazzler boards I did a similar thing as it also had a surface cable.

I tried the VDM-1 board in my Sol -20 to test and repair it and it runs concurrently with the other video circuitry for testing but the scrolling doesn't work (perhaps relating to the problem with the Flip flop you mentioned), but it works well enough to test it, as we know the Sol-20 has pretty well the same circuit on its motherboard.

There is an issue with this circuit design (minor) in the part that generates the vertical sync, the sync pulse is too wide, and on many video monitors, this upsets their sync separator causing a tear in the picture at the top as the bias conditions in the sync separator are altered by charge storage on its input coupling network, and this upsets the separated H sync, causing the tearing. I'm pretty sure this was the case on the SOL and the VDM-1. There is a thread on this on the VCF, I'll try to find it, it is just a matter of altering one resistor value, from 100k to 27k, to fix it...here is the thread:

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/te...e-non-standard

Watch out though, replicating vintage computer pcb's gets to be highly addictive its so much fun !

I just looked at the githib info, great.

Can you explain this remark in more detail, since the original board must have had a functional scroll ? did they all have an issue or just some pcb versions ?
    • The blanking circuit for the scrolling functionality needs to be connected to the inverted output of a flip-flop rather than the non-inverted output.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; August 29, 2021, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mloewen
    replied
    You mean, this ribbon cable?

VDM1-L.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    Nice!

In my own personal project queue is goal to make my own S-100 video card with similar-ish capabilities, but I was going to do it from scratch with more modern parts. (The target to be to be roughly compatible with the PolyMorphic Systems VTI or SSM VB1B, because they're a little simpler and support those TRS-80-style graphics.) But it's great there's a more authentic board out there now.

Leave a comment:

• physicsrob
    started a topic Announcing New VDM-1 Reproduction

Announcing New VDM-1 Reproduction

Hi All,

It's with great pleasure that I'm announcing a new S-100 board, a VDM-1 reproduction which I've been referring to as the VDM-2021. Now anyone can build a terminal-style text video card for the S-100 bus.

Details of the board, ordering instructions, and much more can be found here: https://physicsrob.github.io/vdm1/

The short history of this board is that I reached out to Lee Felsenstein to ask him what he thought of me reproducing the VDM-1. He was reluctant for me to reproduce the original PCB layout since the original layout had problems (like the ribbon cable), so he suggested I create a new layout for the original VDM-1 circuit. So that's what I did! Lee provided valuable feedback throughout the process.

Initially I will be selling the bare board for $30, or a partial kit for $90 which will include everything necessary to build a VDM-2021 that is not readily available through Jameco or similar electronics distributors. Specifically the partial kit will include:
    - 1 x VDM-2021 PCB
    - 1 x Character generator ROM (either MCM6574P or MCM66740)
    - 8 x 2102 memory chips (equivalent to the 91L02 or 21L02)
    - 1 x DM8131 bus comparator
    - 1 x DS8836N bus receiver
    - 1 x 93L16 binary counter
    - 1 x heat sink
    - 1 x BNC PCB connector

All remaining ICs are 74-series TTL or 4000-series CMOS.

This is my first S-100 board, and I'm doing this as a hobby, so a few disclaimers:
    1) I haven't put in the order yet for the final production PCBs (I've had prototypes printed and I have assembled them successfully). I will most likely place the order in about two weeks, after gathering the initial orders, and depending on the response.
    2) The hardest component to obtain is the character generator ROMs. I have about 50 ROMs available for these kits, but I have no idea yet if that's sufficient or way overkill. I believe I have a reliable source for more ROMs if necessary.
    3) This is a hobby project, and I have a full time job, so shipping may be delayed, and while I will attempt to support builders, I can't make any guarantees of support.
    4) While this board should be straightforward to assemble, this is not a beginner board. There are 48 ICs, and I highly recommend having a scope on hand to follow the integrated assembly-test procedure outlined in the original VDM-1 manual.

I hope you all find this valuable and enjoy! I've had a blast putting this project together, and it's very satisfying to use BASIC on my Altair displaying the output through a vintage monitor directly from this board. I'm excited to play Trek-80 as well, although I haven't gotten the keyboard working with Trek-80 yet.

Cheers,
    Rob

Working...
X